How do I manually order Child pages in the Child Display Macro in Confluence?

Mohamed Sleem January 18, 2018

I am using the Child Display Macro to list all the child pages on the parent page like a table of contents. The option to sort the child page according to the Macro documentation are by Creation, Title, Modified. It also states that the default is Manual if manual is selected. I can't see where i can select manual. 

For now I have chosen to sort by Creation which is working for now as I am creating theses page in the order I wont them, but if I ever want to go back and create another page that I want to show higher up on the list then how is this done?

If I leave the Sort by option blank, assuming this is the default, it automatically orders them Alphabetically which i don't want because the pages need to be ordered in a specific way ie,  the pages deal with the use of a piece of software and each page explores the software in more deeper detail as the ready progress through the different pages.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2018

Hi Mohamed,

pages in Confluence are ordered alphabetically by default. You can change this alphabetical order by clicking "Reorder pages" on the bottom of the left sidebar:

image.png

There you can manually change the order of your pages by dragging and dropping them to the right position.

Mohamed Sleem January 18, 2018

Hi Thomas

Thanks for the quick reply. I have reordered the page as you described but this does not translate to how it ordered in the Child Display Macro.

Pages ordered randomly to test you theory:

page order.png

And this is how it shows up when i use the Child Display Macro:

Child Page list macro.png

This seems to show that the Reorder Page function does not effect how the Child Display Macro orders the Child paged when it displays them.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2018

This is strange, how did you set the ordering for the children macro?

Mohamed Sleem January 19, 2018

Hi Thomas

I was having a stupid moment. Your right. I forgot to change how the Child Display Macro sorts the pages. I set "Sort Children By" from creation to the default blank value and now the Child pages are ordered as I had set them under Space Tools > Reorder Pages.

Thanks very much Thomas. Two thumbs up.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2018

You're welcome, @Mohamed Sleem

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events