How do I make my header sticky? Is it automatic?

Rebecca McMurry November 23, 2016

I need the header row in my table to be sticky as I scroll down the table. How do I make it sticky?

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2016
David L
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 9, 2017

We have a table whose headers are not sticky but none of the exceptions apply. We are puzzled by this part of the explanation: "In some instances table header rows will stick to the top..." Why not "In most instances except those noted below..."?

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2017

same here  none of my table headers are sticking and none of the exception conditions are met

Maggie Secara April 4, 2018

Same here. Confluence 6.6.1. Sticky headers used to be automatic. Did they take that away?

Cristin Hipke
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 9, 2018

I discovered that in addition to the (horrible) definitions above, if you merge two cells together, poof, there go your sticky table headers. Once I undid my merged cells, I was back in business.

Like Ann Ma likes this
Tony Griffiths
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 30, 2018

....so how do you actually do it??

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2018

I would love to know, this is driving me crazy.  None of my tables meet the exception criteria, and if Atlassian is slowing rolling out a fix, (which i think I heard) , I haven't gotten it yet.

Daniel Hanson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 24, 2020

So far I've found that it floats at the top of the table by default as long as you have NONE of the following:

• No cards/tabs anywhere on the page (if you have a tab section and the table is above it, the floating header still won't work)
  • No merged cells in the table
  • No tables within a cell of the table

I don't know if there are other Confluence features that break the floating header, but these are the ones I have found so far. I wouldn't trust it if you have more than one header row, also.

3 votes
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2017

You can use Table Filter macro to freeze several top rows or columns without any limitations.

Maggie Secara April 4, 2018

According to the page John cited above, it should be automatic. I shouldn't

have to install an add-in to make this work.

0 votes
Michael Haverbier October 20, 2020

I realized that Firefox does not display the sticky header.

Chrome instead does display the sticky header.

@Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_Your addon is working indeed but Firefox has render problems. It shows horizontal scroll bars although they are not needed as the outer box (which is added by the filter) is to small for the content.

(Using Confluence 6.6.13 and FF 68.6.1esr)

Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2020

Hi @Michael Haverbier,

We've just released Table Filter and Charts 6.1.1 with the fix for the redundant horizontal scrollbar in Firefox. Please, update the app and let me know if it works fine.

Michael Haverbier October 23, 2020

Hi @Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_ ,

I updated the Addon and the render problems are fixed.

Thanks for the hint.

0 votes
Tyler Hill
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 16, 2020

Select the table row and then a dynamic menu should appear; this will expose the option to designate the table row row instance as a heading row, which should drive the stickiness. There can only be one heading row per table to preserve that functionality. 

2020-03-16 21_12_27-Invision 3.0 Port - Completion Plan - Ascendon - CSG ConfluencePROD OMA.png

Hope this helps. 

0 votes
nhat khai nguyen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 4, 2019

Hi, What about the REST Table? I have Java Script generate a REST Table, and how do I have my header sticky?

0 votes
Maggie Secara September 1, 2018

I found that if I scroll slowly, just a click or two down, the headings will stay in place. They only scroll away if I run the scroll wheel up and down quickly, like you do. Clicking once near the bottom of the scroll bar does it too, IIRC.

I've moved on to another contract and I'm not using Confluence right now, but before I left, that seemed to do the trick.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events