Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I insert an image into a Global Tempate?

Dallas Devam July 24, 2019

How is this possible? Why is there no simple Insert Image in the Global Template editor in confluence?

4 answers

3 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2021

On Confluence Cloud, you can use the Excerpt and Excerpt Include macros to get around this.

1. Make a separate page. On that page, add the image you want to put in the template.
  2. Place the image in an Excerpt macro.
  3. On your global template, use an "Excerpt Include" macro, then pull the page from step 1.

I just confirmed this in my Confluence Cloud instance, to add an image to my Announcement widget on my dashboard.

M_ Ludwig July 21, 2021

Hi all,

unfortunately this solution does not work in cloud.

Error is:

Error rendering macro 'excerpt-include' : No link could be created for '<pagename>'.

Like dominique.lazo-flores likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted

I found a work around for confluence cloud!!!

Create a new User and upload your image as the user profile image;

Then the Template will allow you to insert Confluence Content>User Profile Image

screenshot-cropsify.atlassian.net-2019.07.24-17-36-15.pngscreenshot-cropsify.atlassian.net-2019.07.24-18-02-02.png

Dee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

Not gonna lie.. this is a devilishly creative workaround! :)

Like # people like this

I want what I want and gonna get it how ever I gotta get it; muhahaa!

Like Sky Knippa likes this
Dallas Devam July 25, 2019

I found bugs; the Public Picture image doesn't stick to a document Export to Word or Export to PDF.

And in the word .doc; tables are not formatted to the correct width/size. Confluence failed to include Table Property for Table Size Percent xx

Dee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2019

Hi Dallas,

This open issue might be relevant to that: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-52836

There is a workaround in the Jira issue, full disclosure, I haven't tried it, but it might work for your use case.. 

Let me know how you get on..

Dee

Dallas Devam July 25, 2019

No it's not relevant; my image is not inside the table.

Dee
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2019

Darn.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dee
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2019

Hi Dallas,

Your question got me thinking! :) I did a little test on Confluence Server and found the following:

•  Whilst you can't attach an image to a global template
  • You can include an image that is attached somewhere else in confluence

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 8.41.23 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-25 at 8.42.00 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-25 at 8.42.10 am.png

I also discovered a little bonus feature (or bug, you decide)

You can upload a new version the image directly to one page created from the template and it alters it for every page created with that template.

I changed myself into a fleur-de-lis!

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 9.00.30 am.png

I'm using confluence cloud and don't see the insert files button in templates.

screenshot-cropsify.atlassian.net-2019.07.24-17-09-34.png

1 vote
George de los Santos July 24, 2019

I do not believe that this functionality exists for security issues. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events