How do I insert a link to a document that lives in my company network drive?

Lori Kristofka August 26, 2022

Hello.  We use the WIKI as our one source of truth.  I'd like to be able to insert a link on a WIKI page that takes users to a document that lives in our network drive.  How do I do this?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

How do your network drives show themselves to the internet?

Are they properly out on the web, with an HTTP://<something> URL, or are you using UNCs that will only work when your people are working within a network that can tell them to go to a specific place?

I know that has a lot of jargon in it, so another way to look at it is with an example. 

My partner is not a technical person, and has to suffer most of her working life grudging through Windows-based systems.   She has told me she would like to see a link on her desktop that takes her to the shared file on her work's network drive.

So, obviously, I have to ask "how do you get to it at the moment?". 

When she says "via HTTP://www.mycompany.com/somthing/more/folder/ourfile.xls", great, that's a url we can open in a browser.

But when she says "T:\\mycompany\files\ourfile.xls", while it is a fine UNC and it points to shared storage perfectly, it is probably not consistent.  Someone has mapped "T:" to something on her computer, and there's a very good chance that T: is not used in exactly the same way across her entire organisation.

So, to start to answer this question, we need to know how you get to your company's hard drive.

Could you describe how you get there, or give us the link string (with detail obscured - I used "mycompany.com", replace yours in the same way - we're interested in the format, not the detail)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events