How do I handle installing confluence on a system with an old, obsolete database for which do not have passwords?

J_Y_McRoberts January 24, 2017

I installed Confluence (10 user license) on my computer.  After the fact, I realized 1) I had PostgreSQL running on it, and 2) that it had an old confluence database.  Confluence had long since been removed from the computer.  Will Confluence automatically use that database? (It is also being used for a valid JIRA instance).  How would I know?  If not, what will it use?  I installed it but cannot remember the admin password.  I tried using the procedure for resetting it to 'admin' in the PostgreSQL tables but won't let me log in.  I don't see any 'database' directory in my confluence home directory (which may have been associated with the old version).  On option is to blow away the confluence database and start over from scratch.  If so, I assume I will have a new server ID that I will need to associate with my license.  How is that done?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2017

Whoa, slow down, that's a disorganised stream-of-consciousness.

First, think about what are you trying to achieve.  Then narrow down your questions to that:

If it is "a nice clean new Confluence" - start clean.  Install it, give it a new location on the disk and a new empty database.  It won't know or care about the old stuff.

If it is "fix up the old one", then forget the new install.  Work out where the old installation is - home directory, install directory and database.  Check it all matches, try to start it and see what (if anything) goes wrong

J_Y_McRoberts January 25, 2017

How do I transfer the license over to it if the license is tied to the server ID which is in the old database?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2017

Ok, you can work with developer or evaluation licences briefly to get you working.

In the long run, you can change the server id in your my.Atlassian.com account and get a regenerated key for the licence for the new server ID.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events