It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I freeze the first row of a table in Confluence?

Gagan Kalra Apr 27, 2016

I want to freeze the first row of a table that I have created in confluence. What's the process to do it?

3 answers

2 votes
Andrey Khaneev Apr 27, 2016

Starting from Confluence 5.8 there are sticky table headings in view mode, but they have some limitations.

As an alternative you can use Table Filter and Charts add-on. Table Filter has an option (Fit table to screen area) to freeze the first row and make table scrollable.

Archana Goparaju Mar 15, 2018

is it also possible to freeze first column of the table? The above worked for me to freeze top row heading but I also need the first 2 columns to be frozen, hope there is a way to do that

Andrey Khaneev Mar 15, 2018

Yes, you can freeze the first 2 columns with Table Filter freeze first N columns option.

Archana Goparaju Mar 15, 2018

I don't see that option in my Table filter --> Table View

and also I can see only option for Show N rows which I entered 3, and saved . It doesn't work either. Pls help. I mainly looking to freeze first 2 columns .

Like Marina Tsaryova likes this
Andrey Khaneev Mar 15, 2018

What is your version of Table Filter and Charts add-on?

Aurélia Feyssaguet Mar 30, 2018

Hi,

I managed to freeze the first column of my table using Table Filter/Table View.
However, it is only freezed in read-only mode (once the page is saved).

Is it possible to freeze it in edit mode too?
Indeed, I would like see it freezed when scrolling on the right and adding values in my table.

Thx for your answer.

Aurélia F

Andrey Khaneev Mar 30, 2018

Hi Aurélia,

It works in edit mode too, but only in Confluence Server, not in Cloud. Are you on Confluence Cloud?

Actually yes, I am on Confluence Server and a trial version of Table Filter.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about freezing the first row, not column. Freezing columns works only in page view mode. But most likely this improvement will be implemented in future versions of Table Filter.

OK thanks. And I imagine there is no other ways to freeze columns in Confluence? This can only be done using Table Filter plugin?

You can try Table Enhancer as well, but notice this add-on is not supported.

OK thanks for your answer.

I had another question posted here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Questions-for-Confluence/Move-total-columns-in-Table-Filter/qaq-p/762506
Do you think you could also take a look at it? :)

Sure, already answered :). Thank you for pointing to this question.

Antonio Pascual Jun 27, 2018

Hello,

I am using the Jira issue filter macro to show a table in Confluence. I am also using the table filter macro.

However, it looks like when you are showing a table using the Issue filter macro the functionality that allows you to freeze columns and rows in the Table filter macro does not work.

Does anyone now if it is possible to freeze columns and rows in a table whose source is the Jira issue filter macro?

Andrey Khaneev Jun 27, 2018

Hello Antonio,

It is compatible with Jira Issues macro as well, you can see it works here

What version of Confluence and Table Filter do you use?

Hello,

I am using Table Filter version 1.1.63-AC and Confluence Cloud. I know it is compatible because you can use filtering, but it looks like Frozen rows/columns do not work. Is there a limitation with this?

Best regards

Antonio

Andrey Khaneev Jun 27, 2018

Just checked it in Confluence Cloud and it worked in my environment.  You can contact vendor support to resolve the issue.

Thank you Andrey, I will do that.

Iddo Jacobi Jul 30, 2018

Hi Andrey Khaneev,
In your answers above in Mar 2018 you wrote that freezing the first row in a table "works in edit mode too, but only in Confluence Server, not in Cloud".
I am using Confluence Server (6.6.4) and first row is not frozen when the page the table is in is being Edited. For the avoidance of doubt: The first row is frozen when that page is not edited.

What may be the reason for that / how can it be checked?

Thanks in advance, Iddo Jacobi.

Andrey Khaneev Jul 30, 2018

Hi @Iddo Jacobi,

Please, check whether it works for you on this page. Also you can contact StiltSoft support to resolve the issue.

Iddo Jacobi Jul 30, 2018

Hi and thank you for the quick response.

The only table in that page where headers appear frozen at the top of the window even the page is scrolled seems to be the one titled "Hiding table columns", and that one doesn't appear to be frozen when I enter edit mode.

By the way: I am typically using Firefox 52.9.0 32-bit for Confluence pages, but I tried it also in Chrome, and the behavior is the same there with both my own pages and the page you sent,

Should I have a preference whether to track the support call here (Atlassian) or with StiltSoft support?

Andrey Khaneev Jul 30, 2018

Firefox 52 is quite an old version. What version of Chrome do you use?

It is better to contact StiltSoft support in this case.

1 vote
Rusty Lundgren Oct 08, 2018

Hi,

Is there a way to freeze the top row of a table in edit mode, if you are running Confluence Cloud?

Thanks!

Rusty

Andrey Khaneev Oct 08, 2018

Hi Rusty,

I'm sure there is no workaround for Confluence Cloud.

Rusty Lundgren Oct 08, 2018

Ok.  Thanks for the info, Andrey.

CAT Apr 25, 2019

Hi, @Andrey Khaneev

Same question as Rusty but for Confluence Server. 
Is it possible to freeze rows or columns in the edition mode ?
This is necessary, to work with long tables and to insert data. 

Thanks for your answer. 

Clotilde 

Andrey Khaneev Apr 25, 2019

Hi @CAT

Yes, it is possible to freeze rows in the editor in Confluence Server, but not columns. Please, see how it work on the demo site.

Like CAT likes this
CAT Apr 25, 2019

I'm sorry but even if I put the same settings as the TABLE VIEW one, of the category " Fitting table to the screen area ", it is not working in editor mode. I can see in the macro preview that the first row is frozen, but in edition mode it's not working. 

Thanks for your help again, 

Clotilde 

I see this when I edit the page:

2019-04-25_15h35_17.pngWhat do you see there? What browser do you use?

CAT Apr 25, 2019

I can see exacly the same on demo site (and it's working as I want) / my page confluence page in edition mode (not working the same). I use google chrome. 

Please, check the version of Table Filter and Charts app in Confluence Administration and update it if possible.

CAT Apr 25, 2019

We bought and installed the macro last week... I just checked, any update is possible. We are disappointed, we still try to found the problem, but please keep us in touch quicly if you found the solution. 

Please, contact StiltSoft support to resolve the issue.

Like CAT likes this
CAT Apr 25, 2019

Thanks! 

1 vote
Ahmad Syauqi Shohaimi Atlassian Team Jan 08, 2019

Hi All,

The feature isn't available at this moment and there's a feature request where you can provide your ideas in the comment section and vote here: Freeze top line of tables.

The request isn't new but requires more inputs and votes in order to get the developer's attention and to put this on the roadmap. 

Cheers,

Syauqi

Beth Park Jan 18, 2019

Added my vote to the feature request.  

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence CVEs and common questions

Two vulnerabilities have been published for Confluence Server and Data Center recently: March 20, 2019 CVE-2019-3395 / CVE-2019-3396 April 17, 2019 CVE-2019-3398 The goal of this article is...

901 views 0 19
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you