How do I export a table I created in a confluence page to excel? The option is missing

Jenni Readio July 21, 2015

6 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2015

I created a bookmarklet for this purpose. You can get it at the URL below. Just drag the link to your bookmarks bar and then click it. It will create a link above each table to allow you to download that table as a CSV. One caveat is that it won't work in IE as IE won't allow data uri's for anything other than images ... haven't tried it on Microsoft Edge yet.

http://iamdav.in/2014/10/24/bookmarklet-creating-csv-html-table/

Update

09/16/2016 - Works with IE 10+ now

Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2015

Okay, now that's brilliantly easy!

Jenni Readio July 22, 2015

Thank you Davin, this works great! I second Milo's comment! Brilliant!

Vladimir Buchta January 17, 2017

Thank you Davin, nice and easy. Great work!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2017

It's worth noting that since I posted this answer there is now a free add-on in the marketplace for the server edition that will allow you to download a table as CSV. Link is below. Get version 1.1.3 of the add-on if you are on Confluence 5.x and the newest if you are on Confluence 6.x.

CSV Table Export

AMC October 16, 2018

Thank you Davin, this works great!

Charlie Bailey May 2, 2019

@Davin Studer This is absolutely brilliant!! Thanks for sharing.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2019

@Charlie Bailey You're welcome. Hope it helps.

David_Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2020

A JavaScript bookmarklet... now that's an elegant solution. Works brilliantly and even supports tables created by third party macros or the Jira Issues macro.

Thanks heaps!

Like Davin Studer likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2020

@David_Bakkers Glad you find it useful.

Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2021

Just FYI: The link (iamdav.in/2014/...) is dead.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2021

Yeah, my site keeps gong off line. I need to rebuild my server. Thanks.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2021

@Amir Katz (Outseer) The site has been stabilized. I fixed it a few months ago, jut did not respond.

1 vote
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2020

Alternative solution for those who use the Table Filter and Charts app: all bundled macros can export tables to CSV.

David_Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2020

True, but only if the filter panel is made visible and the panel control buttons are made visible, whereas the commandlet is universal to all HTML tables.

The CSV export capability from the Stiltsoft macros does have some nice CSV formatting options though.

1 vote
Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 20, 2020

Bookmarklet that Davin shared above is very nice. If you want to have table export feature available to all Confluence users, we have released a free add-on: Table Exporter for Confluence

It can export Confluence tables to two formats:

- CSV

- Microsoft Excel (xlsx)

Please give it a try https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222158 and let us know if you face any issue.

1 vote
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2015

I don't know of an easy way. There are two ways that do work though.

1. Carefully select all the text in the table
  2. Make a new spreadsheet in Excel
  3. Select the first cell (A1)
  4. Paste

1. Export the page as a Word doc
  2. Select the table (click the image2015-7-21 17:31:16.png that appears when you move the mouse cursor into the table
  3. Follow steps 2 through 4 above

The first one saves a step, but it can be VERY tricky to select all the text in a Confluence table.

You should try both methods as the resulting text style is different.

Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2021

Comment for method #1 - it works better if you can edit the page.

When viewing the page, you cannot select the header line since all column headers are clickable links used to sort by that column.

If you edit the page, you can select all rows.

0 votes
Samantha_Perez February 12, 2020

This is no longer working. I know it's an older thread but any chance of an update?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2020

Which answer is no longer working for you?

Samantha_Perez February 18, 2020

i tried it again and now it's working. obviously user error. thanks for responding.

Kevin Ying March 9, 2020

Great work on the bookmarklet; 1 quirk, whenever I download tables, it's not downloading them using the custom TableExport.csv, it downloads always using the same "download" filename.

EDIT: added target="_blank" and now it's downloading with the correct filename

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

Hmm. Which browser are you using? I've not been able to replicate that behavior using Chrome, IE, Edge, or Firefox.

Samantha_Perez March 18, 2020

This is the exact error that would happen to me; I only use Chrome. It happens every now and again and wasn't sure what to do since I'm not doing anything differently that would cause an issue. Next time I'll see if I can edit the file as Kevin suggested above. 

0 votes
PatrickV August 29, 2018

Thank you so very much! This works perfectly. You just saved me a lot of time for now and the future. You're great!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events