Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I embed a PowerPoint presentation into a page?

Heather Murski February 4, 2019

I have embedded a PowerPoint presentation into a page;  the images do not show up.  Rather it is an image of the PPT.  When I click it, it says that it's having trouble converting the file.  Then is says to click download. 

I want the PPT to embed and be navigable.

5 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2019

Hi @Heather Murski,

When you drag the file onto a page, it will display as a link or a thumbnail (as you described).

Try this out: 

1. Edit your page and insert the Office Powerpoint macro
  2. Edit the macro and point it to your embedded file.

If that doesn't work, this should:

1. Place an attachments macro on your page
  2. Add the ppt to the page
  3. Place an Office Powerpoint macro on your page.
  4. Point the Office Powerpoint macro to your current powerpoint

The second method allows you to point to a different powerpoint if you have weekly/monthly updates.

Jon

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2019

Note: Animated gifs sadly won't work when  using the Office Powerpoint macro. If you want the animated gifs, you will have to download and open the file.

Jared Brenner
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2019

It's also worth noting that this macro only works with .ppt files, so be sure to avoid the default .pptx extension.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2019

@Jared Brenner

Interesting! Didn't know about the lack of pptx. 

Thanks for sharing!

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2020

I had no problem using this macro with PPTX files.

Alexandra Bobrow (Instech) January 11, 2021

I have no problem using this macro with PPT or PPTX files, if I view it in confluence. When trying to view the same KB article in service desk, the presentation is just a small thumbnail of the first page and it cannot be clicked on at all. It seems there is no way to embed a ppt or pptx in confluence which customers can actual see in service desk, and that the only solution is to allow customers to download the file.

Like danmachen likes this
3 votes
Ian Turner July 15, 2020

When i do it I get a confluence page with a long window displaying the full set of slides - not an interactive powerpoint.  It looks a mess and is hard to work in other content and is slow as hell if its a large slidedeck - as in unusable.

I'd much rather it either just displayed the file attachment that I can choose to open or previewed it properly allowing me to page through slide by slide.

There are work arounds of a sort - I can copy the URL of the attachment and paste that in.. which is okay but not great.

Lena Shchors October 21, 2021

the same happens to me and it looks that nothing changes for a year ((

Danielle Lefebvre June 23, 2023

This is the same for me-anyone know what would fix this?

Like Clay_Stevens likes this
1 vote
Shree Lekha Ramanathan April 30, 2019

Hi Heather ,

I'm from Zoho Show and we'd like to introduce our add-on
Zoho Show for Confluence Cloud. You can now import , edit and manage all your powerpoint files in your confluence space , without switching between apps and user accounts.

We support pptx,ppt and ppsx file formats.

The presentations embedded in confluence pages are navigable with quick navigation controls and fullscreen view. 

We have rich set of options to transform your numbers to beautiful charts and infographics.

Here's our Atlassian Marketplace page . Install and give it a try :) 

Would love to hear more from you!

Thanks,
Lekha
show-confluence@zohoshow.com

0 votes
Troy B. Stauffer November 13, 2020

if you have animations in your presentation, the macro doesn't work right.  It only shows slides.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2020

All the more reason to ban animations in presentations.

Troy B. Stauffer November 13, 2020

Shame, Shame, Shame LOL

I spent a lot of time on those animations :)

0 votes
Matt Brauer July 22, 2020

The "insert" button for the Powerpoint macro seems to do nothing, with either of the two methods described above.

I'm getting a little tired of the hacky feel to everything Confluence. Nothing ever seems to work as advertised, and there's always some kind of workaround that needs to be applied.

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2020

@Matt Brauer As much as I love Confluence, it is article centric.

Not to push anyone to a different solution, but O365 would be file centric. 

I've been in Confluence for 4 years now and yes.. it does feel hacky. This is why the Atlassian Marketplace has so many options out there :)

Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2020

Don't get me started on the text editor. 

Ian Turner July 24, 2020

I've been using confluence for a long time - hacky isn't the word I'd use.  I think that too often they've been lazy with fixing bugs and not added simple features to macros forcing people to go to the marketplace.  Whilst the marketplace may be good for some anyone who uses this at an enterprise level is likely to struggle with that option and I think having to buy another module because the thing I've bought has no functionality isn't a good customer experience.

To the point about office365 that's just a different beast - I do use confluence to create some documents, export them to word and deliver them to customers but my general use of confluence is to create simple information that is easy to read and link.  In my work, I'm an IT architect, I've grown tired of the "never mind the quality feel the width" attitude to document creation.  Confluence allows you to concentrate on simple documentation and avoid getting bogged down in templates with hundreds of styles that seem to proliferate over time.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events