How do I disabled editing of comments?

How do I disable the editing of comments by a space admin? I can understand the add / remove permission, but globally I want to the ability to disable the editing of someone else's comments. How can I do this?

1 answer

Hi Jeffrey,

The global permissions in Confluence operate at a much higher level, have a look at the page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Global+Permissions+Overview

the permission to edit comments is controlled on a space by space basis by an admin. If you want to block a space admin, they can just over ride it and give themselves the permission again.

There are some tricks you could pull to try and block the space permission URL using apache HTTPD in front of Confluence....

Or... you could write a macro to query the confluence API to look at space permissions object and report on anyone who has it that shouldn't

But I think it should be more about education than enforcement

Found a way to do it by js:

<script>
  AJS.toInit(function() {
    AJS.$('.comment-header').each(function() {
      var u = $(this).children('.author').children('a.url').attr('data-username');
      if (AJS.params.remoteUser != u) {
        $(this).siblings('.comment-body').find('.comment-action-edit').remove();
      }
    });
  });
</script>

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

346 views 20 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you