How do I disable the "Important changes to our user directories" banner in Confluence 5.7?

Paul Biagio March 4, 2015

Has anyone figured out an easy way to disable the "Important changes to our user directories" banner that shows up to admins after upgrading to Confluence 5.7? I was hoping it might just be a plugin component that can be disabled but this does not appear to be the case. I could easily just add some CSS to hide it and some JS to trigger the dismiss button action which I will do if necessary. I would prefer to disable it completely or even just mark it as seen for users in the database directly. Here is Atlassian's reply when I filed a support ticket:

"After talking with our Senior Engineer we thought we could have a flag in the os_propertyentry is where we usually set such flag. We believe that banner might be hidden in a confluence jar in the <install-confluence>/confluence/web-inf."

userdirectorychange.PNG

<div class="aui-message aui-message-info info shadowed " id="aggregation-warning-msg"><p class="title"><strong>Important changes to our user directories</strong></p><p>Confluence 5.7 and later has changed how group memberships are determined for users that belong to multiple user directories (e.g. LDAP, Active Directory, Crowd). If you have critical permissions based on groups in Confluence, you should read and understand how the changes might affect your team.</p><p><button id="aggregation-read-more" class="aui-button aui-button-primary aggregation-acknowledge">Read More</button><button class="aui-button aui-button-link aggregation-acknowledge">Dismiss</button></p><!-- .aui-message --></div>

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2015

Hi Paul,

It looks like that banner is supplied by a module inside the Confluence User Rest plugin, which is bundled with Confluence. That module can't be disabled within Confluence, but you can disable it through the database by modifying an entry in the bandana table that governs the state of plugins and their modules:

{code}

UPDATE BANDANA
SET BANDANAVALUE = '<map><entry><string>com.atlassian.confluence.plugins.confluence-user-rest:crowd-aggregation-warning</string><boolean>false</boolean></entry></map>'
WHERE BANDANAKEY = 'plugin.manager.state.Map';

{code}

Obviously, since this is a database modification, we recommend backing up your database, as a precaution.

Once the database change is made, you can either restart Confluence or flush the Confluence caches (at Confluence Admin > Cache Management > Flush all) to pull in fresh data, including that change.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Brian

Paul Biagio April 14, 2015

This query will override any existing stored settings hence re-enabling any disabled plugins. Before you run it, get the current settings and add this new entry to the list.

1 vote
Paul Biagio April 14, 2015

The JS/CSS workaround for those that don't want to modify the database is to add the following code to the header of the Custom HTML page:

&lt;script&gt;
AJS.toInit(function() {
    if(AJS.$("#aggregation-warning-msg")) {
        AJS.$(".aggregation-acknowledge").not("#aggregation-read-more").click();
    }
});
&lt;/script&gt;
&lt;style type="text/css"&gt;
#aggregation-warning-msg {
    display:none;
}
&lt;/style&gt;
Paul DeSousa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2015

This is much better and easy to turn on and back off. I believe that those notices are useful to me the admin and the one who is upgrading. To all the others they usually do not make sense and cause a churn of unneeded questions. So I believe this works great, so before upgrading a remove the code and so I will see any new warnings and then before anyone logs in I turn it back off post upgrade. Thanks Paul!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events