How do I disable "You don't have permission to view" checking?

Lester W February 24, 2020

When I enter a PUBLIC github.com URL onto a Wiki page, I am plagued with "https://github.com/xxx- You don't have permissions to view. Try another account" on my pages.  I just want the URL to appear without the (extremely annoying) message. 

Try it yourself in Confluence by entering this public URL: https://github.com/lesterw1/TechNotes

c.PNG

I want to permanently disable this kind of checking. For clarity, this has NOTHING to do with being an admin or not (a different issue reported on another thread). Thoughts on how to solve this?  Thanks.

11 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Anderson February 26, 2020

Workaround: specify link text i.e. type something like "GitHub PR", select it, and press ctrl+k and input the URL. When you provide link text in this way, the nag message doesn't appear.

Luke_Capizano March 13, 2020

Thank you very much for posting this workaround (for an issue that shouldn't even exist)!

6 votes
Adam Anderson February 25, 2020

Agreed. It also occurs with private repos that I _do_ have permissions to view, only I haven't granted permissions to Jira. I tried granting permissions, and it turned a nice wide clickable URL into a tiny 32x32 black and white icon that is much harder to locate visually than blue hypertext and requires much more mouse precision to click. That was even worse, so I revoked access again and am now annoyed by this nagging message. Please let us opt out of this worse-than-useless feature and choose to let GitHub URLs be treated the same as any other dumb URL.

Luke_Capizano March 13, 2020

Or rather, this "feature" should be opt-in. :)

Like Mathis Raguin likes this
3 votes
Conor Dunne February 25, 2020

I have been having this issue as well. This shouldn't matter with a public URL. 

1 vote
Matt Waggoner May 31, 2020

Hey, Atlassian? Fix this garbage. You're not fooling anyone.

EDIT: I found another workaround. Copy a URL and paste it into the Confluence editor. Wait a couple of seconds for it to replace it with the "You don't have access" text. Then hit CTRL-Z. This seems to undo the thing and just leave the link as a regular link, like before.

1 vote
Lester W May 26, 2020

Atlassian doesn't want to fix this issue because it makes github.com references look bad. They want you to use bitbucket. I'm so annoyed with this and the lacklustre features of Confluence that we may find another solution.

1 vote
Valentin Schmidt May 26, 2020

I agree this feature is aggravating, i find that if you "edit link" and give a different hyperlink text this disappears. However, this is not a solution as some other users actually have linked accounts.  

1 vote
Mike Senkovich May 22, 2020

I agree with the sentiments here.  The target audience for the documents I'm writing already have GitHub accounts so they do not have GitHub permissions issues. So when I do a copy/paste of anything with a GitHub URL reference I now have to edit the link (by adding quotes around it sometimes) to get rid of that message.  Frustrating.

1 vote
Andrew Dixon April 24, 2020

Same here, so annoying, who thinks this sort of rubbish is good!!!

1 vote
Basu Chaudhuri April 23, 2020

This is an extremely annoying feature. Another of the many annoying features in there 'new' confluence. I don't want to view!

1 vote
Pratik_Khadloya April 13, 2020

Not sure how product managers come up with wasteful and obtrusive features like this. Are these inspired by social media? Please turn if off on the cloud!

0 votes
Lukasz Lakomy January 27, 2021

Also in current version you have a dropdown when you click on a link 

githublink.jpg

Just select Display URL option

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events