Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete comments that have been resolved?

Tom Fahey January 29, 2018

I have permissions to delete comments. The page has a resolved comment which is visible to anyone. I need to delete the comment completely. How do I do this. Confluence Cloud. Thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2018

Hi Tom,

Inline comments cannot be deleted. If you need a comment-free copy of the page you may go to the page tools (...) menu and copy the page, which strips all the comments.

Here is the Cloud documentation for comments: Comment on pages and blog posts

Thanks,

Ann

Tom Fahey January 29, 2018

Thanks for the quick response. Actually I found I was able to delete a resolved inline comment by first resolving the comment and then deleting it. Delete is an option on the inline comment. If there's a reply, you need to delete the reply first. So I was able to solve my problem. But I do appreciate the alternative of copying the page. thanks. 

Like Matt likes this
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2018

You are right, I was mistaken. The resolved inline comments can be deleted if you reopen and then go to the ... menu:

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 1.20.37 PM.png

Mike Standal June 5, 2019

I confirmed this works as long as the text was not deleted resulting in it being resolved by that method. No way to delete it at that point. It's also very public too.........

Please consider allowing cloud user admins to clean up entire spaces of comments, versions, etc. One use case would be internally developing a software user guide and using comments to mark locations that need help from other staff members, but would not want these comments public facing when the space is opened up to the public.

Like # people like this
Nicholas Wade July 18, 2019

Same problem. Its agony to have to come here to resolve issues with Confluence. 

Like James Cha likes this
James Cha May 4, 2022

The fact that you cannot simply delete comments blows my mind. Confluence sure makes things a lot harder than they need to be.

Like LM likes this
Catherine Martel November 24, 2022

What about deleting your own comment? I just wrote an inline comment, without publishing the page. I found my answer seconds later, but now I can't delete my question!

Karin Carlson December 22, 2022

I think you have to have certain permissions to delete comments.

My issue is that the content was deleted, and so now the comment is "stuck" -- resolved because the content was deleted, but can't reopen to delete.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events