How do I customize a theme in confluence?

lambec November 22, 2016

When we create spaces in Confluence, I can select from 3 'themes': 

Documentation

Knowledge Base 

or 

Team

My question is: Can I create my own custom 'theme' to select? (Rather than customize the global default, as not every space created will need this specific project theme...)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2016

There's three answers, although they are all based on the same principle: Confluence themes are implemented as add-ons.  So, you can:

• Download them from the marketplace
  • Write your own
  • Use one of the more powerful theme editors that look like they implement one theme, but allow you to build up your own inside them and are very customisable.  The three I've used are Brikit, Refined and Themebuilder

Yes, I now work for Adaptavist, so that could be seen as an advert for Themebuilder, but I would have said it years before I took this job. 
lambec November 23, 2016

Thanks for the Info Nic; maybe you may have some more best advice for me and my specific need: 

My team is: small, tech side uses JIRA, and project side uses Confluence (instances are self-admin, set-up and linked) and i'm trying to design confluence to be our PM tool.

Essentially, 90% of the new spaces we create are for Projects, and I'd like the ability when I click 'create new space' to be able to select a 'Project' template (pre-formated for consistency across project spaces, and also the macros of: meeting notes, documents, etc. in the sidebar). Whilst also leaving the 'blank' space alone, in addition to creating perhaps one other 'specific project' type template....

Perhaps I'm making changes at too-high a level? (What I ended up doing was edit the 'General space default', which will be fine for ~90% of the time). Also my user technical ability is limited so 'writing' a template is probably way beyond what I could do alone (although; I could create a JIRA project, and assigned a task to a tech teammate! wink)

I will trial the themes, and hopefully that's the best solution.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2016

I think that sounds more like blueprints, but they won't necessarily cover all the things that go into a theme.

Hi Caitlin, Hi Nic, 

Full disclosure, I work for RefinedWiki. Our apps are in essence tools to customize Atlassian platforms. 

To answer your question Caitlin (better late than never!), our app RefinedTheme for Confluence (or RefinedSpaces if you're on Cloud) does exactly what you're after by giving you the tools to be able to create 'custom space templates'. 

To give you an idea: 
This is an example of a custom space template
Screenshot 2018-03-08 15.22.02.png

So with this app you can have both global, and custom space templates (and it comes with the default templates as well) and apply them to the spaces that suit

Here is a link to the documentation about this feature (explained in more detail): https://docs.refinedwiki.com/x/9gPXAQFurther, if you have any questions you're welcome to contact our support service

P.s. Sorry for the very late answer, we are a bit slow on the uptake of Atlassian Community! 

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2016

Each space can customize it's own Theme a bit, foremost – If you make the changes via the Space Administration, then the changes are local to the space and are not global.

Outside of that I would stand behind Nic's answer – I've only used a few of the add-ons or written my own theme.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2016

True, some themes (built in, and downloaded) can have some flexibility at a space level, they're not totally rigid. And, of course, if you write your own, you can build in that too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events