• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I create variable's in my Confluence document? i.e: One product, has many names. Edited

We have one product, which has been sold to many clients. 

The product has a different name for each of our clients. 

We are creating one User Help guide using Confluence cloud. 

When the client opens the confluence help guide, I want them to see any references to the product with their name as opposed to a generic name. 

How would I  go about this? 

Thank you. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey Community Leader Jun 12, 2019

Cloud complicates what you can do. There are some plugins that might work, but they are for server. If you are on the server instance, you might be able to create a user macro that detects to group of a logged in user, and then replace text based on the user.

For Cloud, you only option I can see is to have separate spaces for each client, and manually replace the product name in each space.

In general, Cloud will not support sophisticated use cases, such as yours.

Thanks Bill. 

Was running into a similar Scenario - was able to get around this following the the information in this URL - granted its for Server, but you can now add variables in the awful new editor view on Cloud.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/create-a-template-296093779.html#CreateaTemplate-Templatevariables

Adding Variables into Template (created a Variable template for testing)

2019-11-27_1143.png

Variables added to template (Created Product and Approvers Name variables.  Copied product variable to have the same value in multiple places in the template)

2019-11-27_1144.png

Populated the Variable during the page creation (only Entered once into Products variable and it populated all instances of the variable)

2019-11-27_1145.png

Output on the New page

2019-11-27_1146.png

Like Bec Honey likes this

Thanks Julian! ... thats a small win for the 'new' editor I guess!? :) 

Merry Christmas to us all :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What do you think is the most *delightful* Confluence feature? Comment for a prize!

- Create your own custom emoji 🔥 - "Shake for Feedback" on mobile 📱 - An endless supply of GIFs via GIPHY 🤩 Is there anything quite as nice as a pleasant surprise? Comment below with what...

429 views 23 9
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you