Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a new child page using inline commands on a wiki page?

clarence June 9, 2020

As an avid user of wikis products it is a real time save to be able to create a Parent Wiki page and then by using shorthand create new subpages by typing in line.

It helps create the Page Tree for you to populate later and ensure articles are already dynamically linked inline. 

For example. I create the new parent page Product Features. I start to type in the parent page to describe the Product features. Every time I want to add a child page of a particular feature I am mentioning I could add a shortcut e.g. #dashboard. This would automatically create the subpage dashboard and insert a link to the page from the parent page. This would also work when listing contents each item would create the subpage dynamically. 

Finding it difficult to discover how to do this in confluence cloud. As a wiki the ability to efficiently create pages is probably number 1 in terms of what a tool is meant todo capability wise.

I have discovered how to add a page that already exists inline using ctrl-K. Would like to be able to use a similar method by create a child page. Help appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2020

Hi Clarence, welcome to the Community!

The ability to create new pages on the fly while typing hasn't made it into the new editor yet. It's on our short-term backlog (roadmap of features in the new editor here) and you can follow along with that feature request directly: CONFCLOUD-67129 

In the Legacy editor, typing a square bracket [ will let you create a placeholder page link. With the implementation of the new editor, this feature had to be rebuilt from scratch. While it's not in the new editor yet, keep your eyes on that feature request.

Cheers,
Daniel

clarence June 9, 2020

Thank you for the clear response. The link to the roadmap was really helpful.

Andrew Johnson November 13, 2020

Ouch - but thank you for the response.  My intent is not to turn this into a "hater" forum, but I second that it would be really helpful and frankly surprising that that is not MVP 1 material.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

@clarence (and for anyone else who's curious) - this is possible by using the square brackets like before, but also by including a "()" at the end of the bracketed words, then hitting space.

Example:

I wish I had a [basket of cats]()

Related blog post: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Link-to-undefined-placeholder-pages/ba-p/1412785

Gaby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2023

Wow - großartig - vielen Dank - diese Info hat mir geholfen, diese Funktion zu implementieren und somit in unser Unternehmen zu streuen.

MERCI

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2023

I always thought the functionality was deprecated in the new editor - glad that’s not the case. And glad this helped you too, @Gaby !

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events