• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I create a link to a page that doesn't exist yet?

Before this new "improved" Confluence, I could create a link to not-yet-exiting page on the fly, and create that page after I had finished editing the parent page. This technique is called 'Representational state transfer' (REST) -> one can statelessly link to a resource whose existence (=state) is not known.

How do I do that now? Confluence editor only gives me a drop-down list of existing pages and does not accept a new link text instead. If I try writing a new link and press enter, the editor just discards the changes and no link is created.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi Joni,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

This feature was known as "Undefined Page links" and while they're not yet possible in the new editor, they are mentioned in our roadmap below:

This feature is currently in our short-term backlog, and you can track its progress here:

• CONFCLOUD-67129 Link to an undefined page (a page that doesn't exist yet)

There is a workaround listed there, which is:

As this is not a native feature in the new editor for now, we can keep using our undefined links by opening them on a new tab (right-clicking over the link and selecting this option, or CTRL + Right Click / COMMAND + Right Click).

To insert an undefined link on a page with the new editor, create a link with this address:

https://SITE_NAME.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/createpage.action?spaceKey=SPACEKEY 

Let me know if you have any trouble or questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Chrisf I'm New Here Nov 29, 2020

After a page is created using this workaround, the source page doesn't update to point at the new page, instead the page may be created multiple times over if different people click on that link to follow it.

Fortunately there is an actual working workaround now:  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Link-to-undefined-placeholder-pages/ba-p/1412785

Content removed and posted in a more appropriate place

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What do you think is the most *delightful* Confluence feature? Comment for a prize!

- Create your own custom emoji 🔥 - "Shake for Feedback" on mobile 📱 - An endless supply of GIFs via GIPHY 🤩 Is there anything quite as nice as a pleasant surprise? Comment below with what...

415 views 23 8
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you