How do I create a data room in Confluence that can be accessed by external parties?

Dominic Ryan January 20, 2020

I am creating a folder that contains our Information Security Documentation. I want to be able to share this with third parties who may request InfoSec documentation from time to time.

This should be on a read-only basis and I should have a record of who has viewed the folder.

Thank you

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

Hi @Dominic Ryan 

Do you perhaps have a Jira Service Desk linked to your Confluence? 

If so then you have some possibilities:

• (Most secure option) - You could create a ticket on behalf of the third party and attach a secured PDF file to the ticket. When 3rd party requests password you know they have/are in the process of reading your doc. 
  • You could have the infosec doc as a web page on Confluence and shared with Jira Service Desk via Customer Portal. Again via Jira Service Desk create a ticket on behalf of 3rd party and share link to customer portal containing the infosec doc.  (most things are searchable on Customer Portal, but unless you specifically add infosec doc to a category it won't be found until you share a link to a Infosec doc). 

-Mike

Dominic Ryan January 22, 2020

Thank you Mike. That is an interesting workaround. It looks like we are going to use a folder system within MyDrive as a simple solution. I appreciate you taking the time to think this through and share.

Regards

Dominic

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2020

HI @Dominic Ryan 

No problem, another solution if you want to keep it within Confluence (which we also use, I just hadn't thought of it at the time), is to use a Google Drive Confluence Plugin. The document can be stored in Drive and shared with Customer. Google Drive folders are also visible in Confluence and can be edited by internal staff, made read only and shared with customer. 

-Mike

0 votes
Answer accepted
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2020

There isn't a way to do this out of the box with Confluence Cloud, particularly if you don't want to give each of those users a paid subscription to your Confluence site.

There is a solution in the marketplace called "External Share for Confluence", but I don't believe it will track who accessed the page. You could contact the developer of that app to see if they could add that functionality.

Dominic Ryan January 20, 2020

Thanks James, I appreciate the response. Helpful. Dominic

Like James Dellow likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events