Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I continue a numbered list across sections or table rows?

richardofrugeley November 24, 2020

I'm writing a step-by-step guide. Each step, or group of steps, has an accompanying screenshot. I'd like the steps to be in a column on the left and the images in a column on the right. I'd like the steps to be numbered so that individual steps can be referenced.

When I've tried this, I've used sections or table rows to associate steps and images, but in the next section/row the numbering restarts at 1. How do I get a numbering progression throughout the guide?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2020

I have the same challenge. This is a common scenario. I've tried using the out-of-the-box row numbering on Confluence tables, and tried merging table cells, but got irregular results.

One possibility is the Numbered Headings macro:  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/16063/numbered-headings?hosting=cloud&tab=overview  

I'm not that familiar with the Bob Swift Advanced Tables add-on, https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/197/advanced-tables-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=overview   but it looks like it may offer some numbering options.

Looking forward to other ideas and/or your solution!

richardofrugeley November 25, 2020

I transformed the page with the Numbered Headings macro. Previously the page was divided into sections with steps in a narrow column and screenshots in a wider column. The macro can be used in sections but it's not possible to add sections within the macro. So the divided sections were replaced with a 2-col table. And some cutting and pasting!

The first heading on the page is H2 so I chose to start numbered headings at H3, using H3 & H4.

The 1,2,3 numbering in the editor was turned off to remove the earlier numbering that continually reset to 1. Otherwise it's possible to have two sets of numbering!

Here is an extract:

Numbered headings in a table.png

Like Michelle Rau good likes this
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2020

I like your layout a lot and I may try to replicate it. Nicely done!

Nicholas Wade January 28, 2022

In the end, the only way to put a table in a numbered list is to pull up PowerPoint, create your table, copy it, past it back in PowerPoint as a picture, copy it and then paste it in the numbered list following a soft return.

If you go to buy a tool from the marketplace be aware that although it says 'free for the first 10 users' it's not, because that's a trial period and anyway, if you're using Confluence you probably have a lot more users and the license is per user. Absolute Rip-off.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events