How do I configure Confluence to synchronize only a subset of users from my Microsoft AD?

jacob April 6, 2014

I have created an AD group where I'm adding AD groups containing users that should be able to log in to Confluence.

I have successfully synchronised the whole AD but as we only have XX number of licenses, I would like to limit the number of accounts that are synchronised.

I've tried to follow the steps in the guide below but I cant get it to work.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Changing+the+Number+of+Users+Synchronized+from+LDAP+to+Confluence

I have tried setting this DN in the "Base DN" field but it failed to work:

CN=CONFLUENCE_GROUP_USERS,OU=User,OU=System,OU=Groups,OU=Resources,DC=world,DC=myad,DC=org

However, when i only type in the following, it works and synchronise the whole AD.

DC=world,DC=myad,DC=org

Where should i add this field: CN=CONFLUENCE_GROUP_USERS,OU=User,OU=System,OU=Groups,OU=Resources

?

Kind regards

2 answers

0 votes
FelipeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2014

Hi Jacob,

I assume CN=CONFLUENCE_GROUP_USERS,OU=User,OU=System,OU=Groups,OU=Resources,DC=world,DC=myad,DC=org is a group, right?

If you want just the users on this group to be synchronized, you can set your base DN to be DC=world,DC=myad,DC=org, leave both Additional User and Group DN’s empty, and under User Schema Settings->User Object Filter, you use a filter like this:

(&(objectClass=Person)(sAMAccountName=*)(memberOf=CN=CONFLUENCE_GROUP_USERS,OU=User,OU=System,OU=Groups,OU=Resources,DC=world,DC=myad,DC=org))

This will ensure only users on CONFLUENCE_GROUP_USERS will be pulled from AD.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,

Felipe Alencastro

jacob June 1, 2014

Thank you, but I tried that solution but only the accounts that directly belonged to the Confluence group were found.

The users that had a group belonging to the Confluence group where not found (as the Confluence group wasn't directly connected to those users) so that didn't work for me unfortunately.

0 votes
NotTheRealStephenSifersNOPENOPENOPENOPE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2014

Try the following:

Base DN:

OU=Users,OU=Company,DC=MyDomain,DC=Local

Then under your Additional Group DN you would specify your Confluence Access group.

Additional Group DN:

CN=CONFLUENCE_GROUP_USERS,OU=Users,OU=Company,DC=MyDomain,DC=Local

Also, ensure the users you are running the sync as has permissions into the OU's you are attempting to scan.

jacob April 13, 2014

Im sorry, I could not get that to work.

The confluence web page https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Changing+the+Number+of+Users+Synchronized+from+LDAP+to+Confluenceseems to state that I only should add the name of the group "ou=confluence-users" where you suggest that i should put the full name "CN=CONFLUENCE_GROUP_USERS,OU=Users,OU=Company,DC=MyDomain,DC=Local"

I've tried both but It won't sync my users.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events