How do I change an existing user's email address in Confluence Cloud (free)

JupiterNet Wiki Admin November 6, 2020

How do I change an existing user's email address in Confluence Cloud (free)? I'm logged in as the site admin, yet there seems to be no way to modify the user's email address. The user also cannot change their own email address.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2020

It depends on the user directory you are using.  Free Cloud accounts mostly use Atlassian accounts, which belong to the person who created them, and should be maintained via them logging into id.atlassian.com where they will be able to change the email address for the account (but they cannot do it within the applications, it has to be done by account)

I understand what you mean, but in this case the emails associated with the users do not have existing Atlassian accounts. The admin/site account does, but not the additional users.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2020

So what is providing their accounts?

I know I said most free accounts are using Atlassian accounts, but I was weak on that, others are clearly not Atlassian accounts, but that does suggest gsuite or atlassian-access (very not free).  We need to know exactly how the account is provided before we can help more.

Ah OK! :) These accounts were created by using the Cloud Migration assistant from an existing server installation. In theory, I suppose we could change the addresses for those existing accounts first (we're still doing test migrations right now). But I'm still concerned about the ability to change them later.

If it matters, we also do control the domains for the email addresses.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2020

The migration assistant will create Atlassian accounts unless others are specified, so it could get complex if you do have others.  And, yes, if you have the domains, then you might control the accounts.

There's a lot of "if" in this question, and (potentially) a lot more in the possible answers.  I think I'd start by nailing down exactly where the accounts are coming from.

JupiterNet Wiki Admin November 7, 2020

I get it now - in this case, as you explained, Atlassian accounts were created for each user, so the users can simply modify the address themselves, which is fine - I had been stuck on the idea that the administrator, specifically, could control this.

If it helps anyone else...for my use case, which was to test things out as specific users before handing the accounts over to them, it was possible to make sure the pre-migration email address was one we had access to, then allow migration to create the Atlassian accounts, test things out, then log in to the users's Atlassian account, change the email to their real email, and let them do a reset and take over the account.

Thanks for the help, got me on the right track!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events