Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I bold and underline at the same time using markup in 4.0?

Douglas Pierce September 22, 2011

When i type *++* which used to give me bold and underlined, I now just get bold with bolded plus signs in the text. What am I doing wrong?

2 answers

2 votes
twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2011

Speaking of shortcut keys... it's not like 4.0 editor doesn't have those. Steps to reproduce:

• Decide you want to use the bold and the underlines
  • ctrl B ctrl u
  • Type something toggle out with ctrl b ctrl u.

Sure. There's a bug in converting the on the fly markup to formatting feature or whatever the official buzzwordy term for that is... but Confluence has always had issues with nesting.

If anything, bold + underline is easier than it was before... it works more like word now.

Douglas Pierce September 23, 2011

Tim, the editor is slow compared to wiki markup (and compared to Word) and why should we be forced into the editor when wiki markup was a great power tool for users?

twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2011

placeholder

twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2011

I completely understand the frustration: being a Confluence wiki-markup power user myself... I find the 4.0 editor pretty frustrating when I type [link]: Completing the last bracket kills the link dialog and it thinks I want to type exactly that string and escapes the whole thing. I also find the macro browser than {macro} when I know exactly how that macro works: It sucks to bring up a whole dialog and break my train of thought.

That being said... even I will admit that it does a lot of things better: basic bolding and underlining is way easier, and boy, it makes futzing with tables not require me to fetch the bottle of scotch under my desk. After using it extensively for the last few months, I'm back at probably 80 percent of my previous speed.

Although I personally haven't drunken the collective kool-aid about the editor, I'll admit it's way better for 90% of the people out there. Just in the same way I don't expect everyone to use vi over M$Word as a primary editor- I think that the 4.0 is better for most; most of the speed loss is really unlearning the wiki-markup.

Graham Hannington June 26, 2012

Although I personally haven't drunken the collective kool-aid about the editor

I just stumbled across this question, and this comment, while looking for something else. It's refreshing to hear this from an Atlassian. The word "groupthink" also springs to my mind with regard to the editor. The combination of (these are just some of the issues):

• Dropping the wiki markup editor
  • Introducing a quirky rich text editor
  • Coining an XML vocabulary without providing a formal definition (that can be used to validate document instances in an external editor); and presenting/serving the XML as snippets, rather than documents

has, in my opinion, resulted in a self-generated perfect storm. However, I get the impression from comments by Atlassian that Confluence is, in fact, storming ahead, with these issues not causing any significant blip in new licenses or renewals. Which is odd, given the sheer number of negative comments I've read from separate users; I would be interested to see the results of a "satisfaction" survey of renewing licensees.

I sincerely want to get behind Confluence - it has a significant user base and, I think, still so much potential - but I am frankly dismayed by recent events and decisions. Ah, I'm starting to rant, and this is not really the right place (takes another swig of scotch).

0 votes
Nicolas Wildner September 23, 2011

Actually, the simbol that represents bold is * and underline + .On Confluence 4.0 these simbols remained the same, except with the functionality of "on-the-fly" formating :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h77zmZwFWS4&feature=player_embedded

And if you tried +*word*+ ?

Douglas Pierce September 23, 2011

Nicolas, did you actually bother to try your solution? Before when I used the bold symbol (*) followed by the underline symbol (+) the word came out bold and underlined. Changing the order, your solution, doesn't work either. Then you get the "*word*" underlined and NOT underlined and bold as it used to. What I have been doing before this collossaly awful "improvement" is *+word+* and with the wiki markup the word comes out bold and underlined.

This editor is slow and I really think we should be able to get our money back if you guys are going to tank the product like this. If I wanted a great WYSIWYG editor, I would use MS Word, at least you have shortcut keys to make it fast to format.

Like George Roman likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events