How do I add variables in a Confluence template?

Bob Ashforth August 14, 2018

I want to add variables to my template so that the user will be prompted to enter values when creating a page from the template.

5 answers

12 votes
Andrew Cohen December 13, 2018

Thanks just fat fingered the keyboard. Got it figured out

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 14, 2018

Thank you for letting me know, Andrew!

Take care,

Shannon

4 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2018

Hi Bob,

You can add variables following this procedure:

In summary,

When you add variables to your template, they will act as form fields. When you create a page based on a template, you'll see a text entry box for each field. Enter data into each field, and it'll be added to the page.

You can add the same variable more than once in the same template, which is useful if you need the same information in more than one place on the page.

To insert a variable into a template:

1. Choose Template > New Variable from the editor toolbar (or choose an existing variable to add it to the page)
  2. Enter a name for the variable
  3. Press Enter (by default this will create a single-line text input field)

Please read the entire article for the full set of instructions.

Let us know if you have any trouble!

Regards,

Shannon

Andrew Cohen December 12, 2018

Hmm I might be missing this but when I add a variable it just puts a ? mark on the screen. Is there any other way?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 13, 2018

Andrew,

Can you tell me what version of Confluence you are using when this happens?

Shannon

Marcel Kleinlütke April 26, 2022

How do I "reuse" an existig variable on the same template. Copy and paste and else?

Like # people like this
Marcel Kleinlütke June 10, 2022

or how do I define gloabl placeholders for several templates/bluepringts

1 vote
Marcel Kleinlütke November 15, 2021

Is there any way to define areas of dates... like a week from Monday to Friday defined by one selscted date or the creation date or is there a list of the possibilities?

Is there a way to have a pagetree where the mother page shows the content of the newest or upcoming time area? Like a mother page that shows in a 4 tables the entries of that table of the 4 subpages? 

MI February 25, 2022

Have you tried solving this with a page property macro? You add a table on your page and have another page with the page properties Report macro showing all the attributes in a table.

I did it with ConfiForms and several ITTTF Fields that calculated the date of the next and the next next day to insert those values in the table header.

0 votes
MI February 25, 2022

I wonder how the standard templates manage, that there is the name of the author. Is there any way, that I can achieve this in my own template?

Template Placeholder should be working

0 votes
Andrew Cohen December 14, 2018

No problem and thanks I appreciat the help

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events