How do I add many tags to a Confluence Database in bulk?

Chris Jacks
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 2, 2024

I am creating a Confluence Database that will have a field named "Product". Field type is "Tag".

I have a notepad file with a list of 100 or so products, each on a new line.

How can I get this list of products created as tags without having to copy+paste one at a time?

1 answer

1 vote
Kristian Klima
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2024

HI @Chris Jacks and welcome to the Community

You can import a CSV to a specific column of the database (three dots menu next to the Database Search field) - click Import and follow the instructions. You just need to copy paste your notepad entries into a spreadsheet (or into a text editor and then convert text to table).

Or you can copy paste a column from a spreadsheet editor into a database column.

HOWEVER... I only got it working with Text, not with Tag. And sadly, conversion doesn't work.

Having said that, there might be a workaround, I found a couple solving different issues, more on that in my article here).

I'm sharing the above hoping that it might take you the right track.

Chris Jacks
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 4, 2024

Thanks Kristian

HOWEVER... I only got it working with Text, not with Tag

That confirms my findings also. That it cannot be done as tags.

I want to use the type "tag" so that I can add some level of control for consistency.

Thanks for the article post to. I don't think it quite offers a solution for my problem (feel free to correct me if wrong) but there's certainly some other useful use case examples there. Nice one!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events