How do I add a section with just ONE column

Philippe Desrochers April 12, 2021

Hello, I'm new to Confluence.

I would like to add a section with only ONE column in my page. 

Is it possible to do that ? When I try to add a section, I only see options for 2 or 3 columns

It seems so basic I must be doing something wrong...

image.png

Thanks for your help

6 answers

1 vote
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

The page is by default one column. If you are looking for the sections function that exists in server, it does not exist in the new editor for some reason. Visit this issue report and add your vote:

CONFCLOUD-67648 

Philippe Desrochers April 13, 2021

I voted.. thanks.

Like Nancy Mooney likes this
0 votes
Tim Spencer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 22, 2023

We just moved to confluence cloud. Not having 1 column sections is pretty yikes.

They were so useful to reorder large blocks of information on a single page. We used them constantly, and actively, on our project pages.

For example, new design ideas for a particular topic would be in sections on the same page. As designs depreciated we'd move them down, so we still had the design ideas there on the same page in case we used them later on. Not being able to do that now does suck.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2021

Cloud Confluence doesn't have sections, it has layouts which come with two or more columns.

The closest you can get to a section with a single column is to not use a layout in the block you want as a single column.

Philippe Desrochers April 13, 2021

Yes, 2 columns....but I would like to have ONE column. Anyhow, thanks for taking time to answer me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2021

For a one-column section, just don't use the multi-column layouts.

This works in terms of how a page appears, but it is definitely not sections like the old editor because you can't break up your page into (single column) sections and move them around as a block.

Like Nancy Mooney likes this
Philippe Desrochers April 14, 2021

Ok, I will use the "No layout" option.  However, I still think this is confusing (not intuitive). There should be a choice for a layout with one column !

I don't see any good reason for not having one.

Thanks for your help.

Like # people like this
Gregory Muir February 15, 2022

Why did they do away with this? Moving from Server to Cloud and I'm baffled by the inconsistences. 

Like Tabachnik Boris likes this
raviteja_lokineni August 15, 2022

The no layout option is not responsive, meaning it doesn't support spanning the page size. Seems like a basic requirement that is missing in the cloud version.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

Sorry did not notice you were in Cloud instance. What I provided earlier was for server. For Cloud:

image.png  is the icon that denotes the number of columns in confluence cloud.

when you insert the section a smaller toolbar will appear at the bottom of the section and you can choose the layout image.png

0 votes
Philippe Desrochers April 12, 2021

I can`t seem to find the "section tool".
Can you send me a screenshot of the "section tool" ?

Anyhow, I just went into edit mode and I deleted all the Layout stuff.
For now, I just edit the page without section. I think it will be good enough for now...

0 votes
Carla Ann Rowland
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2021

on your page go into edit mode.

Click on the section tool, add a section to your page and keep the configuration as one column.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events