Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add a legend for columns in a table?

Steve James May 25, 2022

I created a table with columns and rows, but I have been asked to add a legend for columns to provide additional clarity. How do I go about this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2022

@gabriel omotosho Welcome to the Atlassian Community and Confluence Cloud. 

Can you elaborate on what the intention of this legend is? Do the columns in this table have headers, or is it just data in a table? You can insert headers in edit mode by selecting the table and clicking on the table options. This will allow you to add header row above your columns, a header column in front of your rows, and auto numbered rows.

Justin Alexander March 24, 2023

How is this Solved? I think the mention of "columns" in the question adds confusion.

The question is "How do I add a legend..."
A legend is a secondary graphic that stands beside a primary graphic (often a chart or a table, but could be any type of diagram). It typically has two or more colors or patterns, each with a label that explains the significance of that color or pattern in the primary graphic. Think of a stack of colored lines or boxes, each with a word next to it.

A "Header" is nothing like a Legend. A header gives a classification to everything in the specific column or row, not to items placed arbitrarily around the graphic.

Like evgenii_muravev likes this
evgenii_muravev May 3, 2023

@Andy Gladstone 

This answer should not have been accepted by the creator. 

It would be nice to have some means to clarify what is the colour schema used to colour the table. I believe there's a misunderstanding here: headers provide information column-wise, whereas a legend is essential for row-wise colouring.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events