Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I add a check box?

I see that I can add a task with a checkbox but I just want the checkbox. As soon as I delete the text next to it the checkbox disappears when I click publish!

7 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted

1. Try manually typing in [] and then hit space.

2. If you are creating the page from a template, the following code populates a checkbox:

<ac:task-list><ac:task><ac:task-id>2</ac:task-id><ac:task-status>incomplete</ac:task-status></ac:task></ac:task-list>

I am trying to create checkboxes but do not want them to be tasks. Any ideas?

Like tiagocabo likes this

Same suggestion for the issues comment boxes

[] Worked for me!

Like SKalyanaraman likes this

[] works! Many thanks)

Can not work now :'(

Worked for me. Thank you!

Sharon Tan Community Manager Mar 23, 2021

Hey there! Confirming this: our new Confluence Cloud editor supports markdown, where typing [ and ] followed by a space at the beginning of a line creates a checkbox.

You can get to a list of the markdown shortcuts in-app at https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/keyboard-shortcuts-markdown-and-autocomplete if you’d like.

I want a checkbox that doesn't save a version of the page every time i check it?

Has anyone found a work around for the addition of a checkbox in an article?

if you type square braces "[]" and hit space it populates a checkbox. 

That link is four years old. It says to use a macro that is no longer available. 

Like # people like this

@Suren Raj Hi. Do you have any other solutions besides the outdated one that was linked? above

The goal is to insert a checkbox that is not for assigning tasks and is not editable in the View mode. 

Thanks. 

Like # people like this

"[" + "]" + "<space>"

This is however editable within ViewMode as well.

Using :check_mark: and :cross_mark: here

:black_square_button: shows the check box.   But, what's the point.  We want to create a checklist for the user to mark when going through a process......... so, it is for show, not for use.

seems the action item one is for dynamic use

Like Karl Poral likes this
0 votes

Heyya!

I clicked on the 'Action Item' button on top of the page and it worked! This applies to those who are looking to let anybody tick the box as they work on the pages.

we want an html checkbox... not an action item that saves a new revision of the page every time someone clicks it!

0 votes

I use a Status element with a grey background with text
* X for checked
* _ for unchecked

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

🏑 Atlympic Event: Confluence

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

482 views 18 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you