How do I add a check box?

Gemma Lajbrok March 7, 2018

I see that I can add a task with a checkbox but I just want the checkbox. As soon as I delete the text next to it the checkbox disappears when I click publish!

7 answers

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
George Cakiades December 21, 2018

1. Try manually typing in [] and then hit space.

2. If you are creating the page from a template, the following code populates a checkbox:

<ac:task-list><ac:task><ac:task-id>2</ac:task-id><ac:task-status>incomplete</ac:task-status></ac:task></ac:task-list>

Manali Butey April 28, 2019

I am trying to create checkboxes but do not want them to be tasks. Any ideas?

Like # people like this
tiagocabo June 12, 2019

Same suggestion for the issues comment boxes

Like Bora Ozkan likes this
Jacque Young July 17, 2019

[] Worked for me!

Like # people like this
Irina Gaponova October 25, 2019

[] works! Many thanks)

Ryan Fang December 9, 2019

Can not work now :'(

Sean McLennan August 5, 2020

Worked for me. Thank you!

Sharon Tan
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
March 23, 2021

Hey there! Confirming this: our new Confluence Cloud editor supports markdown, where typing [ and ] followed by a space at the beginning of a line creates a checkbox.

You can get to a list of the markdown shortcuts in-app at https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/keyboard-shortcuts-markdown-and-autocomplete if you’d like.

Aaron Williams March 23, 2021

I want a checkbox that doesn't save a version of the page every time i check it?

cmichela August 8, 2022

You can always use the emoji check mark.

Like # people like this
Bernat Ferrer October 31, 2022

It doesnt work inside issue description 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Barb Yantha February 17, 2021

Has anyone found a work around for the addition of a checkbox in an article?

Gagandeep Sharma March 1, 2021

if you type square braces "[]" and hit space it populates a checkbox. 

Like cli likes this
1 vote
Jon Witte June 10, 2020

Using :check_mark: and :cross_mark: here

Edward Anglada June 30, 2020

:black_square_button: shows the check box.   But, what's the point.  We want to create a checklist for the user to mark when going through a process......... so, it is for show, not for use.

seems the action item one is for dynamic use

Like # people like this
Emil Marshall September 20, 2021

Did you ever find a solution for this? (checkbox to allow users to check as they follow a process)  If so, how does it work in terms of whether the user can somehow save their progress and come back later to pick up where they left off & being able to see what was already checked?

Like Jay Pandey likes this
Thomas.Heill June 3, 2022

Thanks Jon for the emoji route. i'm using :black_square_button: and :white_check_mark: now

Jay Pandey June 12, 2023

@Emil Marshall Were you able to find a workaround? I am trying to achieve something similar wherein a user can save their progress and come back to resume it from where they had left. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Dave Austin August 10, 2023

@Jay Pandey That's how the "[] " checkbox works.  You don't have to be in edit mode to mark or unmark it, and as soon as you click it the new status for the checkbox is saved.

0 votes
Damian Turnbull April 19, 2021

I use a Status element with a grey background with text
* X for checked
* _ for unchecked

0 votes
Karl Poral
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2020

Heyya!

I clicked on the 'Action Item' button on top of the page and it worked! This applies to those who are looking to let anybody tick the box as they work on the pages.

Aaron Williams January 12, 2021

we want an html checkbox... not an action item that saves a new revision of the page every time someone clicks it!

Dave Austin August 10, 2023

@Aaron Williams websearch "checkbox", then copy and paste the symbol from the search results.

or if you want it interactive use the HTML injection by "/h" to get the HTML macro dialog box, for "data source" select "HTML embed code", then for the code type:
<input type="checkbox">check this!

0 votes
Werner Spreeuwenberg May 5, 2020

"[" + "]" + "<space>"

This is however editable within ViewMode as well.

0 votes
Suren Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2018
lynne wright December 7, 2018

That link is four years old. It says to use a macro that is no longer available. 

Like # people like this
David Steinbroner March 18, 2020

@Suren Raj Hi. Do you have any other solutions besides the outdated one that was linked? above

The goal is to insert a checkbox that is not for assigning tasks and is not editable in the View mode. 

Thanks. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events