How do I add a background color to a table row in the Confluence editor?

New to Confluence, and this seems like a very simple thing, but I can't figure out how to add a background color to table rows in the Confluence editor. Am I missing something obvious somewhere? It's easy to do for panel and other areas, so surely there must be some option I'm missing somewhere as adding color to tables seems like a base editing feature that should just be there.

9 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

This feature is actually available since Confluence 4.3 (CONF-6482)

Slide 11 of this presentation offers a simple way to color table rows with the aid of a user macro : http://www.slideshare.net/GoAtlassian/a8-no-coding-necessary

My corporate firewall blocks that site. Can you summarize the slide?

<script type=text/javascript" defer="defer">

jQuery(document).ready(function()

{

jQuery("tr:even").css("background-color", "#318db6");

jQuery("tr:odd").css("background-color", "#f86a46");

});

</script>

Colour and Other Formatting

To add colour and other formatting to your tables, you can use the Panel Macro within columns.
More table-formatting options may be available if your Confluence administrator has installed additional macros.

Source: Working with Tables

Hello I just tried to use the panel macro inside a tabel but the result I get doesn t look good. I am convinced I am doing something wrong just by adding the panel macro to a table cell... (seems the image upload is not working ...)

We also have an open feature request for this that you might want to follow / vote on: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-6482

Can you check the link. It says, "project does not Exist"

Joe Clark Atlassian Team Sep 12, 2011

I've fixed the link.

Atlassian claims the ticket is resolved as of v4.3. I am using v5.3 (upgrading soon) and there is no color picker available. There are 5 pastels - not enough! We should be able to customize our tables without the panel hack, which leaves whitespace where it is not needed. What can be done to thoroughly resolve this issue? Why will Atlassian not add a color picker for background tables.

And while we are on this topic, why can we not add our own hex values to the text colors?

Here we are almost 2 years later and no update. Still only 5 pastel colours to choose from. What is stopping Atlassian from using hex values or a colour picker as Anna suggested. Having used other collaborative and content solutions, Confluence is extremely backwards in a large number of areas. Given the underhanded approach to add-on pricing, I'd at least expect the basics (content formatting, table column widths etc.) to be handled well. I don't want a bunch of hacks, add-ons or embedded code to make simple colour changes.

There is a table macro that you can use like as follows -

{table:style=border:1px dotted #ccc;}
{tr:style=text-align:center;background-color:silver;color:Indigo}
{th}Heading{th}
{tr:style=text-align:center;background-color:green;}
{td:align=left}data{td}{tr}
{table}

There is a simpler approach than Nikhil's solution that only needs the {html} macro but allows for the use of wiki tables if you have text in your cell. Put this in the cell contents of your wiki table (assuming you have the {html} macro enabled):

{html}<span style="background-color:lime"/>pass{html}
e.g.
|| Test Name|| Pass/Fail||
|Test 1 | {html}<span style="background-color:lime"/>pass{html}|
|Test 2 | {html}<span style="background-color:red"/>fail{html}|
|Test 3 | {html}<span style="background-color:yellow"/>error{html}|

For standardtables, I would choose the "panel" approach. It is build in out-of-the-box and easily readable and reproduceable for infrequent users.

HTML Macro has the security issues and the more macros/plugins you have, the more difficult the system is to maintain and teach.

I offer a 3rd alternative in lack of a feature capable of adding colors to tables annu 2018:

mspaint.png

Make tables in mspaint and insert them as pictures.

S Irvine I'm New Here Jul 25, 2018

It really is a pathetic interface. I can click in table cells and change their color, one at a time.  I can select multiple cells, and click on color, but nothing happens.  How hard can it be to color all the cells in the selection?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

409 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you