How can you restrict users from seeing other users profiles?

Dominique Rada March 22, 2018

Hi,

We are using Confluence 10.5 server. Currently all users can view other user's profiles. Is it possible to restrict users from seeing each other's profiles?

Many thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Duy Anh Do August 20, 2023

Hi @Dominique Rada

If you moved to Confluence Data Center, you could use this plugin to restrict users from seeing other users' profiles, which includes limiting searching and @mentioning.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1225447/confluence-browse-people-permission?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

Cheers

1 vote
Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2018

I'm not sure about Confluence 10.5 since version 6.8 just released ;).  (BTW how is Confluence in the future?  Did they fix the page tree navigation?!)

All joking aside, I think the only way to restrict viewing of user profiles is to disable creating user profiles in the first place.

You can disable the "view user profiles" permission for anonymous users but not your "confluence users".

What information exactly are you are trying to restrict?  Maybe we can find a workaround.

Dominique Rada March 22, 2018

Hi Thank you for replying back.

Not sure how the page tree navigation was prior to 10.5. As we only bought it at this version.

We won't be having anonymous users, as all users are registered through us. So they are all "confluence users" in various groups. We have a group for "external users" which are users outside of our organisation with page edit restrictions on all pages except for our  forum section of our Space. They also have restriction access to some of our sections with our Space. 

But all the external users can see each other's profiles details such as email and photos etc. And we would like to restrict them from viewing each other's profiles. 

Our Space is only viewed by having access to it through signing up. So it is not open to the public. 

So is there any way at all?

Cheers
Dominique

Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2018

OK if it's emails you are worried about the Confluence administrator can configure confluence to hide the email addresses.  There is documentation here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/user-email-visibility-138596.html?_ga=2.68722326.607279368.1521428725-2024476247.1511688550

For hiding profile pictures please look at this community answer from way back:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-do-I-remove-the-thumbnail-image-of-the-user-from-blog-posts/qaq-p/380321

Hope this helps

Dominique Rada March 26, 2018

Thank you so much Patrick! I will give all this a go. 

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events