How can we disable the Confluence Space Export?

Gaj Umapathy January 17, 2019

Hi,

As a Confluence admin, I want to be able to disable HTML and XML exports of space. I can already disable pdf export by disabling the pdf export module in plugins. However, I want to disable HTML and XML exports too but I found that these modules can't be disabled.

image.png

I thought I will ask here incase someone has done this a nice way. 

Please note, I'm not looking for disabling this at space level with space permissions. I want to disable it on the entire site. Reason for this is to address DLP (Data Loss Prevention). 

Atlassian says only pdf can be disabled entirely  I'm sure we can do it with some VM file changes maybe.

Gaj

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2019

How many spaces do you have? I ask because the amount of time to reset the permissions is probably a lot less than trying to come up with a blocking solution.

You have two other solutions:

• White tape approach -  write CSS to set those menu items to invisible (visibility:hidden;)
  • Find the vm file in Confluence, and remove the link there.

Both of these solutions will take time to implement, and doesn't allow for admins to see the functions.

The cheapest way is to just reset the permissions for existing spaces, since you have already fixed the issue for new spaces.

Gaj Umapathy January 18, 2019

Thanks Bill. We have over 3k spaces but that's not the case as we need a unction to disable this for space admins (and stop space admins adding users or themselves to export space permission). We need only confluence admins to be able to do this. 

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2019

Holy moly that is a lot of spaces! I take it that each space has a potentially different user specified as a space admin?

I was going to suggest using the REST API, but there is no permission support CONFSERVER-44329

I think your best bet is the paid plugin ultimate-permission-manager

Next option that would allow you to automate a lot of admin tasks is Confluence Command Line Interface (CLI), which does support permission settings - removePermissions.

Your only other alternative is a custom plugin.

0 votes
Jakub Hanak
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2019

Hello @Gaj Umapathy

What about forbid exporting in Default space permission setting. Then every time you create new space this option will be forbidden and no one will be able to export anything. That might do the trick for you. 

Best regards,

Jakub 

Gaj Umapathy January 17, 2019

Hi Jakub,

We already have it disabled by default on new spaces. The problem is, space admins still have the ability to allow users to export the space. Some without understanding the consequences allow confluence-users to be able to export space.

We want to disable it entirely and not rely on space admins to disable this per space. With DLP and GDPR i'm sure a lot more users will want this.

Cheers,

Gaj

Jakub Hanak
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2019

I think its not possible to disable it completely, as stated in this topic as wellhttps://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/How-to-set-a-confluence-page-viewable-but-can-not-be-copied/qaq-p/139468 

The best way then would be to educate your space admins about the consequences.

Sorry I couldn´t help more.

Best regards,

Jakub 

Like Gaj Umapathy likes this
Gaj Umapathy January 18, 2019

I've raised https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-57781. 

In the meantime I will look at handling this at proxy/LB level to prevent the export of these URLs:

<confluence_url>/spaces/flyingpdf/flyingpdf.action?key=<spacekey>

<confluence_url>/spaces/exportspacehtml.action?key=<spacekey>

<confluence_url>/spaces/exportspacexml.action?key=<spacekey>

Like Chand Chandrasegaram likes this
Tobias Anstett (K15t)
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2019

Hi @Gaj Umapathy,

the best approach is to do it on the proxy level as you just mentioned. You might want to consider a redirect instead to the "not permitted action". Additionally you could hide the web-item using css:

li[data-web-item-key="export"] { 
  display: none;
}

Best, Tobias

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events