How can edit restriction be distributed / inherited to child pages

Ralf Becker January 25, 2018

Is there a way do (automatically)  distribute a "not edit" restriction to all child-pages of a certain page? Or do I have to change that attribute at each single page manually?

2 answers

0 votes
Xavier Tang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2018

I have the same concern. When we need to restrict edit permission on one page, we would in general restrict on all its child pages. Is some one knows the reason for what Altassian made the different behaviour between View and Edit functions ? Would be it better Altassian make the evolution so that the same behaviour is applied to these two functions ? That's to say, by default, restrictions are automatically inherited ?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2018

View restrictions being inherited makes sense because how would you even see a child page in the nav tree if you cannot see the parent. As for edit restriction being inherited it doesn't make sense for them to assume you want it to be inherited. I have many pages that have a restriction on a parent page, but I would not want the children to have the same editing restriction. So, the functionality as it is intended, it's logical, and is not a bug.

However, it might be nice if they added a checkbox or something when setting and editing restriction to opt into having is cascade down to the children as well. But, it doesn't seem that they have the desire to make that change. Also, there are a couple add-ons that can give you that functionality. My hunch is that one of the reason for them not adding it in is because it would essentially make those add-ons unnecessary. Which is great for customers, but not so great for the people that spent time coding the add-on to add the functionality that Confluence doesn't have. Below are a couple add-ons that can give you inherited edit restrictions.

ScriptRunner for Confluence

Confluence Command Line Interface (CLI)

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2018

View restrictions are inherited, but edit restrictions are not. You must manually make the restriction. There are ways to automate it, however. For a while we used the Confluence Command Line Interface to do this. You could set up a scheduled task that would run on a certain period that could apply the edit restriction to a page and all its children. It worked well for us for a while till we decided that we would change up how we do some stuff and it was no longer needed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events