Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I use curly braces without creating a macro?

I want to use curly braces in some text on a page in confluence, but I can't work out how to stop it automatically creating a macro. I tried double curly braces which created a code block, and also tried backslash and forward slash.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi Mark,

You have two options

1. Copy and paste the curly braces (especially if you are going to put an ending closing brace)
  2. After entering the curly brace and the macro menu pops up, press the ESC key and the menu will go away leaving the curly brace there. However, if you put in a closing brace it will still try to convert it to a wiki markup macro, so copy/paste will be your best bet in that case.

Note that simply copying and pasting the entire text including both braces automatically inserts a Wiki markup block

Here is a nice alternative to Stephen Deutsch's answer # 2:

You first enter whatever goes between the curly braces AND the right curly brace -- this causes no problems.

Then, you insert the left curly brace, which does pop up the dialog -- but you can just ESC out of that.

This is absurd. "Preformatted" mode should take precedence and not trigger inserts. Confluence is so difficult to write code in. Atlassian, why do you hate us?

Like # people like this

Have you tried the code block macro? Just add your code in there and nothing gets triggered.

If you can tolerate the macro while you type, just keep going.  After putting the right brace and the macro is complete, hit undo (ctrl-Z) twice.

If you can't tolerate the macro, hit ESC.  The macro will still come back to life with the right brace though, but undo (ctrl-z) twice will put it back to normal text.

My solution is to add two brackets like {{ and }} and then remove the second one.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence Cloud

🏠 Say hello to the new Confluence Home!

Hi Atlassian Community, My name is DJ Chung, and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team. Today, I’m excited to share a new and improved version of Home. The new Home helps you ...

38,354 views 28 126
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you