How can I use curly braces without creating a macro?

Mark Allison July 11, 2017

I want to use curly braces in some text on a page in confluence, but I can't work out how to stop it automatically creating a macro. I tried double curly braces which created a code block, and also tried backslash and forward slash.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

Hi Mark,

You have two options

1. Copy and paste the curly braces (especially if you are going to put an ending closing brace)
  2. After entering the curly brace and the macro menu pops up, press the ESC key and the menu will go away leaving the curly brace there. However, if you put in a closing brace it will still try to convert it to a wiki markup macro, so copy/paste will be your best bet in that case.
Matthew Gately October 16, 2018

Note that simply copying and pasting the entire text including both braces automatically inserts a Wiki markup block

3 votes
cybersam September 13, 2018

Here is a nice alternative to Stephen Deutsch's answer # 2:

You first enter whatever goes between the curly braces AND the right curly brace -- this causes no problems.

Then, you insert the left curly brace, which does pop up the dialog -- but you can just ESC out of that.

MJD March 1, 2019

This is absurd. "Preformatted" mode should take precedence and not trigger inserts. Confluence is so difficult to write code in. Atlassian, why do you hate us?

Like # people like this
Emma Rush _T_D_ July 17, 2020

Have you tried the code block macro? Just add your code in there and nothing gets triggered.

Michael Stangeland November 29, 2021

If you can tolerate the macro while you type, just keep going.  After putting the right brace and the macro is complete, hit undo (ctrl-Z) twice.

If you can't tolerate the macro, hit ESC.  The macro will still come back to life with the right brace though, but undo (ctrl-z) twice will put it back to normal text.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Josh Turnbull April 27, 2023

This can be controlled by going into your settings (user icon in top right > settings) and under Your settings > Editor, select Disable Autoformatting.

This does prevent all rich text autoformatting rather than just curly braces.

0 votes
alexpeterpen June 19, 2020

My solution is to add two brackets like {{ and }} and then remove the second one.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events