How can I use Confluence Knowledge base with Service Desk, if Anonymous access is OFF?

Aaron Ko March 22, 2018

Confluence - In Global Permissions, Anonymous Access is OFF,  due to security

JIRA Service Desk - requires Anonymous Access to access Knowledge Base.  

Even if I go into 1 space, I can NOT turn on Anonymous Access, because the Global Permissions overrides it.   

Any workaround for this problem?  

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2018

Aaron,

Why don't you just open your Knowledge Base space to all active users and customers? This way, anyone with a customer account on Jira Service Desk can view the space without having a Confluence license.

Regards,

Shannon

Aaron Ko March 27, 2018

Hi Shannon, thanks for the reply.  

yes, we considered that, however our security team is giving us a hard time on that (opening up our Confluence to all users,  including "anonymous").  

1. We have Confluence, global permissions anonymous is OFF.  

2. We are testing JIRA Service Desk, however cannot search KB, with the global permissions OFF in Confluence.  

Besides what we already know, is there any other workaround, besides turning on global permissions in Confluence?   The only workaround I can think of is A) turn on global permissions in Confluence then B) at Space level, turn off anonymous access for each space that is not a KB space.   Possible, but not practical.  

Thanks, Aaron

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2018

Aaron,

Opening up to all licensed users does not provide access to Anonymous users. You would have to have a customer account on the instance in order to view the KB.

Searching won't be possible for the users via Confluence itself, but they can still search on the Customer Portal page.

Besides the two options listed on the article, there is no other workaround.

Regards,

Shannon

Joseph Isom April 18, 2018

@Shannon S I have a followup.

I have built a knowledge base space in our Confluence Server (6.8) environment which is connected via application links (over SSL) to our Jira Service Desk (3.4.1) running as a part of Jira Software (7.6.1)

When a licensed agent is in the Service Desk project, they have the KB search function available to them in the sidebar. When they search for an article from the sidebar, it fails to surface any results. However, if they click the "Go to Confluence" hyperlink in the Knowledge base sidebar, they can do the same search and find the relevant article.

We do NOT have anonymous access enabled for security reasons and the fact that Single Sign On doesn't automatically sign our users in, if we enable even that one space for anonymous access. If we enable anonymous access, the search from the sidebar in Service Desk will surface results without the agent having to jump over to Confluence. Any idea why this is occurring?

Thanks

Kind Regards,
Joseph

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2018

Joseph,

I'm not really sure about that. These are licensed AGENTS and not Customers? Can you show me which sidebar search you're referring to?

Shannon

Joseph Isom April 19, 2018

Hi @Shannon S,

This is the sidebar I am referring to and yes these agents are licensed and authenticated in Jira Service Desk. We are using Active Directory and Jira Internal Directory for user management in both Jira and Confluence.

When searching in this pop up they are not able to surface KB articles that have been created in the corresponding Confluence KB space but when they click that link to go to confluence they can run the same search and retrieve the articles.

Appreciate any insight you and the team may have.

Kind Regards,
Joseph 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2018

Hello Joseph,

As long as you have unlicensed users set to view the space in Confluence then it should work. However, I found a bug that sounds similar to your issue:

If you can confirm your Jira and Confluence users are using the same userbase, can you try the workarounds that are listed there and see if it helps the situation?

Regards,

Shannon

Joseph Isom April 19, 2018

Hello again @Shannon S,

I have discovered what my apparent issue is. I had the application link established with Oauth but not with Oauth (impersonation). 

Once I deleted and recreated the links with impersonation, it works.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the responses. 

Cheers,
Joseph

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2018

You're welcome, Joseph! Glad I could help you in any way that I did. :) 

Take care, and have a pleasant week.

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events