Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I update same confiforms form in multiple confluence spaces?

Mika Hotti March 22, 2023

Multiple projects are using same Confiforms form in their Confluence spaces.  I created confiforms form to each confluence pages. I find out problem how to update the form in multiple spaces.  Before I am deep in troubles how to avoid that. Can I create a confiforms form as a template and i just update the template or can I somehow update all forms at one time.  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

Hi @Mika Hotti 

ConfiForms configuration is part of the page storage format. Which means, if you have it in multiple places/pages then you will need to update in multiple pages as you do with any Confluence contents

When you say "same" - have you created a ConfiForms Form Definition on each page and now want to update it on these pages?

Generally, forms are created/defined on central pages and and then used through the ConfiForms FromView Registrations Controls from multiple pages. Collecting data from multiple sources into a centralized place

Alex

Mika Hotti March 23, 2023

Hi @Alex Medved 

When you say "same" - have you created a ConfiForms Form Definition on each page and now want to update it on these pages?

Yes -that is the challenge. It is not done yet because I noticed that challenge during piloting the solution.  

I am  building a solution to manage different development projects in jira. For example forms I created are collecting some data from Developmen projects Jira issues. One form is part of development project monthly report to steering committee. The problem is that we have so many development projects. There is no sense to update forms project after project because of the workload. 

Does it make any sense that all confiforms forms are in one confluence space. All project managers open forms from the same place and save it to each development projects own space (diary).  So in the form project manages choose the development project she/he is going to report and the space where it should be saved (Development projects diary)

I was also thinking the possibility to to use Confiforms form as a global template. Is it possible?

Mika

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2023

You can set up one form and collect data from different projects into one form if that makes sense

If it does not then you can just make a template, right - but this will not solve the problem if you want to update your forms one day

It could also be a user macro, which is centrally managed and that is what you put on a project page.

Hard to advise anything - depends on what you want to achieve. But what ConfiForms can offer is a split of configuration and view

So, you form (definition) can be in one place and form views and other views can be anywhere else

Alex

Mika Hotti March 27, 2023

One form collects data from on project.  I think the best solution is centrally managed macro. How to do it? I have never done centrally managed Confiforms form as a macro. Any links useful links?    

Mika

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2023

Just have a page with ConfiForms Form Definition macro and all that belongs to it (field definitions, IFTTT rules, Field definition rules)... and then on a separate page or pages have a ConfiForms FormView Registrations Control macro "pointing it at the page with the macro definition"

Alex

Mika Hotti March 28, 2023

Yes, That's it. That was the solution I was looking for! Thank you.  

Mika Hotti March 29, 2023

@Alex Medved _ConfiForms_ I have done all that mentioned above: 

1. Registration control is in development project confluece page
  2. All forms are in one Confluence page. 
  3. Creating new form works well.

But find out one more problem. How can I define the Confluence page where the form should be saved. I had it in IFTTT intgration rules/parent page as a page Id value but it doesn't work anymore because about 300 development projects are using the same form and each form should be saved on each project's own Confluence page.  Perhaps using [entry.FIELD_NAME] -but how to do that?   

Sorry -I am just tying to learn,

Mika

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2023

Forms data is saved with the page where the form is registered/configured (form definitions are)

I am not sure I get the question

each form should be saved on each project's own Confluence page.

Are you trying to create a page with ConfiForms and want to create it under some specific parent page? Alex

If I can't define the place where form will be saved dynamically solution does not work for us. One problem solved but now we face another problem. Now I can take care of forms easier.    Confiforms1.jpg  Now filled form goes to "Forms" Confluence space and all project managers should find their form and move it to their own space. 

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2023

Is this about filtering the data?

Data will go to a central place, as you have a form defined centrally

But you can always FILTER the data as needed

So, what is the problem right now, really?

Alex

It is not about filtering.

The main problem is that form I created is formal documentation of development project. In most cases it is a still picture of development project's current situation. This is why it is important to have a formal form. The form is filled once in a month with updated data from Jira. After that it should be archived in our document system. 

Development projects have a diary where the forms can be found. Afterwards we can read desissons and risks among other things. Who desided and what. 

Confiforms was recommended by one of local Atlassian consultant. Now I find out that forms are difficult to maintain because the forms are in 300 hundred different places or it is complicated to Project managers to use them because I cant define the place where it should be saved dynamically. 

Mika

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2023

Why "in 300 hundred different places" if you just can have ONE form that can store thousands of records (projects data)

I dont understand this. Feel free to open the ticket with us and we can discuss that via call

Alex

Mika Hotti April 4, 2023

That was my careless creation in Conflu pages.  We have 300 different development projects and all of them are going to have confluence pages of their own. 

I have made some changes. Now all forms are in one Copnfluence space. All development project's have a page where are registration controls to use forms. 

Creating forms works well now.

The problem is that when project manger fills the form and saves it form appears to 'template' page.  It should go to Development projects own space. How and where I can define that?

I will be in touch a week after Easten if I don't find solution before that. 

Mika

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2023

If you ask on how to create pages with ConfiForms under a specific root page then this is possible by defining the Parent Page parameter in the corresponding ConfiForms IFTTT 

Alex

Mika Hotti April 4, 2023

I have tried to create parent page definition that works dynamically without success. There is a field in a form where project manager puts correct space and page. Field name is 'Luontisivu' (Add ProjectKey:Page)

I added to parent page definition: [entry.Luontisivu] 

What went wrong?

I have also tried some other ways without success.

Mika

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2023

Sorry, what when wrong where? Could you share the configuration?

Mika Hotti April 4, 2023

Result is that I find the filled form from the template space, not the development projects space. Form should go to development projects space. I will collect configuration soon.     

Mika Hotti April 5, 2023

Configuration;

Space called 'Kehittämisen dokumentit, KD (Development documents)' includes Confiforms forms. Each form has a own page.

Forms are working fine. They collect data from Jira and Project manager can fill some fields.

Each development project has own space. That space includes page 'Dokumentit ( Documents)' and 'Päiväkirja' (Diary)'

Documents page includes ConfiForms (FormView) Registrations Control Macro that macro incldes definitions (one example):

• ConfiForms Form name: Muutosesitys
  • Page name where the form is defined: KD:Muutosesitys
  • Rendering form as: Link
  • Label for Registration button *: Luo Muutosesitys
  • No other definitions

On 'Kehittämisen dokumentit' space there is a page 'Muutosesitys'

Configuration includes:

1. ConfiForms Form Definition’ Macro
    1. ConfiForms Form name *: Muutosesitys

1. ConfiForms Field Definition’ Macro
    1. Field name *: Luontisivu
    2. Field label *: Luontisivu
    3. Field type: Page/ Blog post
  2. ConfiForms Field’ Macro
    1. Field name *: Luontisivu

1. ConfiForms IFTTT Integration Rules’ Macro
    1. Event *: on Created
    2. Choose Action to perform *: Create a page
    3. Page Title: Muutosesitys [entry._now.formatDate(dd.MM.yyyy)]
    4. Parent page : [entry.LUONTISIVU]
    5. Labels: Muutosesitys
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2023

Hi

So the field name is Luontisivu or LUONTISIVU?

Also who sets the value for the "Luontisivu" field? 

(if it is a "Page/ Blog post" field type then the page id is expected)

Open a support request with us, so we can fix solve this faster

Alex

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events