Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I unsubscribe to watch changes in confluence pages

Amit Tzur October 5, 2016

Hi,

I constantly get complaints from the Project team about receiving endless notifications for certain pages, although the general notification scheme is switched off and the users are not individually tagged in most of these pages. 

Can you help please?

Much appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2016

Look up "Confluence Notification Storm" - the Notification system is implemented in a way that Atlassian likes ("Our users love getting notifications all the time!"), but many other companies hate, because the spam really can get too much. 

You're getting these shit-tons of SPAM because Confluence adds you as a Watcher to any page you make any change on. You'll then receive a nice notification whenever the next person editing it hits Ctrl-S to save, which for many users is like every other word or four times per minute. If you tell Confluence to send a Digest, it'll send a digest in addition to the massive amount of SPAM. Broken by design in my view.

To get rid of the SPAM you are getting now, open your profile page, click "Watches", and you get a list of all pages you ever worked on. (15+ pages worth in my case, because it includes space imports.) Then click "Stop Watching" next to each one.

To get rid of this SPAM in the future, open your profile, click email settings, and untick everything (especially "Autowatch"). 

It's not possible for an Admin to turn off Autowatch for all users, so we've taken the more painless route and have not attached Confluence to an email server.

I just saw there's even a plugin that addresses this problem.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/confluence.extra.noemailstorm/server/overview

Nicolas Sprauel February 21, 2017

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That's a life saver, I was in despair considering quitting IT when I finally found your answer. Brilliant

0 votes
Christine Diamond January 27, 2017

Good workaround advice, David Skreiner. One issue is there is no option to Not Notify when you add pages, import documents as pages, move pages, or delete pages from a space. It would be nice to provide the option to Not Notify when performing those tasks as well. 

Francisco Corvalan July 2, 2020

Fully agreed with this option in need to be added please!

My colleagues complain about too many emails, at the end, the "collaboration" becomes overwhelming

thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events