Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set width of Confluence Cloud table columns using Confluence REST API?

Bruce Wilcox March 18, 2020

The below html is not working. text-align works but not width. Columns have equal widths.

<table>
<tr>
<th style="text-align: center; font-size: large; width: 5%;">
#
</th>
<th style="text-align: center; font-size: large; width: 10%;">
Number
</th>
<th style="text-align: center; font-size: large; width: 40%;">
Title
</th>
FDX
</th>
OFX
</th>
FIRE
</th>
</tr>

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2020

Hello @Bruce Wilcox ! As I understand, you need to manually set the Table Column width via REST API.

Looking at your lines, I see that everything should be working, CSS/HTML wise. If we take a look at a 3x3 table created in Confluence, here is what the syntax looks like:

TableSyntax.jpg

Here is the table:

TableImage.jpg

With this in mind, we can apply the desired width to the <col> tag inside the <colgroup> tag. This element should support size in %.

Try to remove the width parameter from the style in your table headers<th> and move it to the <col> inside <colgroup>.

I hope this helps you out, Bruce! Looking forward to your reply.

Bruce Wilcox March 20, 2020

Thank you very much, Diego.

I changed to the following and it works. 

<table>
<colgroup>
<col style="width: 36px;" />
<col style="width: 48px;" />
<col style="width: 480px;" />
</colgroup>
<tr>

I find that (1) %'s do not work and (2) using pixels actually sets proportional not absolute widths.

I also find that xhtml is required. You must close empty tags with />.

Thank you again.

Like # people like this
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2020

Great to know that you were able to create the table, @Bruce Wilcox ! Also, thank you very much for sharing those tips here with the community.

Like Mandy Ross likes this
Duane Kuroda March 19, 2024

@Diego I tried nearly the same <colgroup><col> structure as above using px widths, and I don't get the same effect when creating a cloud confluence page via API. All my columns end up the same width. Note: I am creating the table in an expanded section, so if the two are not compatible, that would be good to know. 

Is there any sample code you can share where I can create a test page that works as stated in the 'fix' above?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events