How can I set up a synergy between a table on one page and a page properties report on another page?

Hello Atlassian Community,

I work for a company that produces large amounts of manuals, then hires a translation house to translate our original english manuals in 10-20 different languages. We're using a table on a company-specific Atlassian Confluence wiki page to track the status and estimated costs of translation projects. See screenshot 1 for an example of one of these pages that is tracking the status of Project #1 and the two manuals within the project that are to be translated into a couple different languages. You can also see I've figured out how to use the page properties macro in this screenshot. In screenshot 2 you can see the page properties summary on an overview page which is pulling the data from those project pages and forming a nice summary for readers who don't want to delve in too deep. 

Here's what I want to do:

On the summary page (screenshot 2) I want amounts of money from the project table (screenshot 1) to be totaled into the column "estimated cost." I want to be able to form this final cost amount by adding/subtracting or multiplying/dividing values from the project page. Ideally this would be a formula running in the background that readers don't have to see or mess with, and it can just spit out a final estimation of the translation cost. Can I do this? It would also be nice to do this with text values like Yes or No, or Minor or Major, so changes to a project page would immediately be reflected on the summary page. I'm a novice user and I'm not an administrator and I'm not sure if there are weird restrictions on this page's functionalities because it's some company version of Confluence. That said, I'm happy to learn and I could probably talk to my manager about getting any necessary add-ons or something. 

Advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Gjerda

screenshot 1:1.PNG

screenshot 2:2.PNG

1 answer

Hello Gjerda,

This is not a complete solution, but a possible simplification of your work. You can use Table Filter macro's option Total row in combination with filters to calculate total cost of a project with different options. It will look like this:

2017-11-23_12h00_29.png2017-11-23_12h00_11.png

But you'll still need to copy the total value to the Page Properties macro table.

the same you can do to calculate overall total for all projects on the summary page.

Best regards,

Andrey

Andrey,

I don't see this "Table filter" option you're referencing, and it doesn't show up in my list of available macros. Do you know how I can get it to work?

Screenshot attached of when I search for filter; doesn't come up when I search table either:

looking for table filter.PNG

Anyway, thanks for the advice! Eventually I'd like to find something that's truly automated, but this is a good start if I can get it to work. Does Confluence really not have anything that can automate table entries? It seems like many users would want this feature but searching the community pages hasn't yielded any answers.

Gjerda, forgot to tell that Table Filter is an add-on, you need to install it to your Confluence instance.

And Page Properties Report  macro is the best tool Confluence has for this purpose. Also I don't know any other add-on that can help in this case

Okay, thanks very much!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 11, 2018 in Confluence

What are your project planning tips?

Hello Community,  Jessica here from the Confluence product marketing team! Today I wanted to get your takes on project planning –– what works, what doesn’t, how do you know if you’re doing it r...

375 views 2 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you