How can I set (or disable), the image/text preview when sending/embedding document links?

David Simerly August 23, 2021

We often send links to our clients to view specific documents within our support community, like this one:

https://community.pubmatic.com/display/PA/Bid+Response+Objects+and+Parameters

Many systems (Facebook, Twitter, Slack), display a preview of the link for users, and very often, the preview will contain a random image pulled from the document's attached images. Equally often, the chosen image makes absolutely no sense in the context of the document's title/brief intro text. For example (from a document link pasted into Slack):

Capto_Capture 2021-08-23_11-04-36_AM2.png

The secondary problem is that the text description of the document is a sentence fragment that is an excerpt embedded in the doc so the text can be used multiple places. It also makes absolutely no sense in this context. Why is Confluence favoring the excerpt for the preview over the first paragraph of the document, which intros the document's topic?

So my questions is: how can we explicitly set the image and description text that will be shown for a forwarded link, or disable the preview altogether? Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2022

@David Simerly 

There is no way to disable this in Confluence. It grabs the space info and image so I would suggest updating it.

David Simerly January 24, 2022
0 votes
ARDI SAMA May 29, 2023

I had the same problem and after looking around, not finding the solution.

With several tries, there is a way to disable this in Confluence.

Edit the Link -> Web link -> In the Address, put as ""

This will make the image doing nothing when iti is clicked.

Still, when hovering the image, you will see it as Clickable. At least, less annoying when accidentally click the image.

Hope it helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events