Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I resize images within a blog post after the latest update?

Deleted user July 1, 2018

It looks like the editor for blogs was just updated - when I upload an image, I don't see an option to resize it, so images are coming out way too big. Is there a way to do this within Confluence? Or will I have to manually resize them first now?

11 answers

3 votes
Nick Roberts January 10, 2020

Is there any update on putting back in the image resizing feature. 10th January 2020 and I am still suffering from images defaulting to their original size, whereas the ability to set the pixel width in the old Editor was a perfect solution.

cmac
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hi Nick / Sorin, 

The ability to resize images was changed to allow sizing via a snap grid system for easy, quick, and predictable resizing. There is also the ability to align and wrap the image according to your page layout. You'll notice the size bars when you select / hover over an image and the context menu when you select the image. Once you drop an a new image into a page, you should be able to simple click and drag the side bar next to the image to scale the image as required. 

See additional conversation for details from the Confluence Product Management team. 

If you are not seeing this new experience, then please provide more details and we can investigate further. 

Sorin Bica January 13, 2020

Thank you for the canned response. You are clearly either ignoring all the feedback [or] need to turn over this feed to a different Product Owner. you clearly do not understand the issue. 

The link you provided is FILLED with complaints about this.  It's almost laughable as if you're playing a mean old joke on all the users. Did you read the comments from the link you just shared :) 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-67554?focusedCommentId=2299594&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel

Read the comments.

The ability to resize imaged "DID NOT CHANGE", it was REMOVED.  

How many of these canned responses can you provide before acknowledging this is a real issues that many users are encountering. 

I can provided you a dozen of examples how the images look like thrash, just tell me where i can privately share the links with you. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
OPA Digital Master Account February 12, 2020

Adding to this thread -- please fix this! It's horrendous, and way more time consuming to have to resize before uploading? I, too, would appreciate an improvement to this issue!

1 vote
Leslie Devlin January 31, 2020

I can no longer resize images in how-to pages either. Please fix.

Sorin Bica January 31, 2020

Welcome to the party... you must have not used Confluence for a while because it’s been almost two years since they killed this basic feature. And they refuse to fix it @cmac  

Brian Ross February 3, 2020

Yup, use to be good, now it is not.

:(

Jan Penning February 10, 2020

Is there a viable alternative to Confluence? on the one hand that you can no longer scale the images and that you can not cleverly export to Word (images are not exported with) annoys me slowly. Then there is the sometimes poor performance of the cloud

Brian Ross February 10, 2020

Microsoft OneNote can be used in the same capacity. 

1 vote
Sorin Bica January 13, 2020

@cmac  There is literally not a single positive comment on the solution link you provided. Please unmarked this thread as "Solved" as it clearly still an issue for hundreds of users. 

[Content removed]

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
January 13, 2020

@Sorin Bica I unmarked the thread as solved (I agree this could be confusing) and I believe the product team will be following up to get more information from the impacted users. 

Note that I also did remove some content that was worded as a personal attack, which is against our community guidelines. Please be mindful of this going forward. Thanks. 

Sorin Bica January 16, 2020

When will they follow up? 

Sorin Bica January 31, 2020

@Monique vdB when will they follow up? It’s been two weeks now... 

Like Brian Ross likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 1, 2020

@Sorin Bica thanks for the ping! There's a ticket open here and this request is being tracked on the public roadmap.   If you want to give more details about why this is an issue specifically, feel free to post here or on the ticket. I'll ask if there's any additional update too.

Chris Bosma June 30, 2020

That's cute, Monique. They marked the issue as done because you can resize it in a grid which nobody wants and what this entire thread is about. 

1 vote
Paul Greig October 30, 2018

@cmac, any update on the JAC ticket assigned to the re-introduction of resize on images for blog posts?

cmac
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2018

Hi @Paul Greig, we're currently testing the image sizing solution - it's looking great! We're hoping to be able to start rollout in the next 2 weeks assuming we don't see any bugs in internal testing. 

Like # people like this
Anton November 14, 2018

Hi @cmac I am looking forward to the new editor improvements! Can you share the JAC ticket # so I can follow the progress please? 

Jen Pearson March 5, 2019

@cmac Any update on this?  Still seems to be an issue currently. 

Thomas Sutphin March 12, 2019

It's now March of 2019 and this is still not possible.

cmac
Atlassian Team
March 12, 2019

Hi @Thomas Sutphin ,

The new  'Responsive image' experience as seen here has been live for blogs for several months. Can you confirm if you are seeing the new editor when you publishing a new blog? The publish button will be in the top right (compared to the bottom right). 

Jennifer J. August 16, 2019

It is now August 2019. I am adding images to a table and cannot resize them. When I select the image, my only option is the trash can. How can I resize images I add to a table?

Like # people like this
Jason Varcoe September 18, 2019

Also having this problem in relation to images in tables. Only option is to delete, nothing else. Extremely frustrating. 

Like # people like this
Brooke December 5, 2019

I'm having the same problem -- no word on why we are no longer allowed to re-size images. This is a big problem for us. 

Like Grace Gornall likes this
Grace Gornall May 22, 2020

Definitely a huge issue for us as well. It's midway through 2020 during COVID19 and I can't edit images in a table...what's going on??

Grace Gornall May 22, 2020

@Monique vdB Could you help us address the above issue around tables and image resizing?

1 vote
cmac
Atlassian Team
July 3, 2018

Hi @[deleted], 

Explicit image sizing has changed as part of the new Confluence Editing Improvements

Clicking the image will bring up the context menu 2018-07-03_10-24-07.pngand allow you to select how you can align your image within the text. This also allows for better word wrap /  text alignment. 

Chris

Deleted user July 3, 2018

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately this means an important piece of functionality has been removed. We often upload mockups as part of our internal product blog, which means they almost always need to be resized manually to fit well. Looks like no we will have to resize them manually ourselves before uploading, which takes extra time. It would be great to see manual resizing added back in.

Paul Courtney August 8, 2018

Hi @cmac,

I have to agree with @[deleted] that not being able to (re)size an image in a blog post means I have to go back and edit the size iteratively until I get it right. I tend to capture an image so that I don't have to worry about pixelation, which means I usually have an image too large for the spot. And I did try the context menu you mentioned, but this did not make the image fit - it is still far too large to be useful.

I hope you take this feedback back to your developers and bring back the option to manually resize an image.

Cheers,

Paul

Like Pablo Roque likes this
Doug Kenerson August 9, 2018

Hi @cmac,

Is there a timeline as to when an image sizing feature will be built back into the product? Thanks!

Best,

Doug

cmac
Atlassian Team
August 11, 2018

Hi @[deleted], @Doug Kenerson@Paul Courtney

Quick update. The priority has been increased on the ability to resize an image in the new editor experience. It will likely be a new experience rather than the prior pixel controller. After speaking with the team, I'd estimate early next quarter (Oct 2018), depending on the final solution that is implemented. So it's hopefully not far away!

I will see if I can track down the JAC ticket you can follow for updates. Alternatively you can follow the What's New Blog.

Chris

Doug Kenerson August 13, 2018

Awesome, thanks @cmac!

Paul Courtney August 13, 2018

It's interesting that it is still possible to configure image size manually on other pages in Confluence, such as "How-to articles". So I wonder why this change was made only for blog posts @cmac?

Cheers,

Paul

cmac
Atlassian Team
August 15, 2018

Hi @Paul Courtney

The new editor experience is being rollout out in a staged approach across the different editor experiences in Confluence. Blogs was the first to receive the new editor, followed by Meeting Minutes. Changes were required to enable the editor to work for both New pages as well as render and be able to edit existing content. More details on: confluence-editing-improvements. I will see if we can get further updates made to this page.

Hopefully that explains why the experience you are currently seeing on blog pages is different to what you see on regular pages. In the end, the entire editor experience will be consistent not only in the product but cross-product!

Chris

Sorin Bica January 10, 2020

@cmac it's been a year+ and still no re-sizing? What are you guys doing!?!

Like # people like this

Does everyone at Atlassian think that we're all going to continue putting up with Atlassian's BS forever? You should've fixed this months ago.

Sorin Bica June 30, 2020

Does anyone at Atlassian give a shit about user feedback? Asking for a friend. @cmac 

Like Pablo Roque likes this
Brian Ross June 30, 2020

screenshot.17.jpg

Deleted user September 23, 2020

@cmac any updates on this?

0 votes
Brian Ross June 24, 2021

On June 24 2021 I uploaded an image and I was able to resize it while the page was in edit mode.  I was a click and drag process but it was better than was we had for the last couple of years.

Progress!

0 votes
DanK April 21, 2021

Just found this thread and it's still a problem. 

Brian Ross April 23, 2021

Welcome to the "big pot of disaster" that is image resizing in Confluence.

Like Julver Petrova likes this
0 votes
Brian Ross January 17, 2020

After reading this post, I am guessing this will never get fixed.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Switch-to-old-Editor-possible/qaq-p/1104580

Sorin Bica January 17, 2020

Nope... my developers now loathe looking at the documentation on larger monitors, which they all have.

There's one confluence page where i have the screenshot of a mobile device layout, you literally have to scroll 3 times and the image is pixelated because of this "new" feature.

Three thumbs down: 👎👎👎

I'm not sure what's worst... the issue on this thread, or this gem that took almost a year to fix: How to add a sub-task in the next-gen project type (Agility)  

The Atlassian team does a lot of good work, it's just mind-boggling why some of these basic things, that could probably be fixed in weeks, if not days (i mean how hard is it too also hard a resize component here?) 

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 08.18.24.png

Like # people like this

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the argument that the Atlassian team does good work when its been at least six months since anybody replied to this thread and it still isn't resolved AND they're marking this complete because they think the locking-images-to-grids thing is a good thing. Good teams don't do garbage work like this.

Like Julver Petrova likes this
0 votes
Brian Ross January 16, 2020

I would like to see this fixed as well.

The old picture tool was great, you could select one of three default sizes or type in your own size for the image.

With the latest changes, the development team has removed functionality. 

Now my confluence pages look bad and the team members I share these pages with are not happy on having to do extra scrolling to get around a HUGE image.

This has now become less collaborative.

Sorin Bica January 16, 2020

@cmac what he said ☝️ 

0 votes
Sorin Bica November 26, 2019

@cmac  How can you remove such a basic feature like resizing images???

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events