How can I put an Expand Macro within another Expand Macro?

Lisa Perry May 24, 2023

I've currently been using Confluence on Server and have loved the ability to expand within a expand macro to enable a quick and easy way to find and open information. Now that I am working on Confluence Cloud this feature doesn't seem to be available. Am I missing something or is this something that can't be done in Cloud version?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

@Lisa Perry Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Crash landed with this question though. The answer is currently you cannot nest expand macros. There was some research done by the Confluence UI/UX Team earlier this year, which indicates there may be a change coming in the future, but nothing currently on the roadmap.

Sorry!

Lisa Perry May 24, 2023

Thank you for your response, Andy. I hope you are right in that this feature will be coming soon. I have become so accustomed to using this tool in my previous role it's a shame that I can't use it with my new employer.

0 votes
RPT Admin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2023

There is a workaround, albeit not a very satisfactory one. Get in touch with Atlassian Support and ask them to re-enable the Legacy Template. The legacy template still allows you to nest an expand macro inside another expand macro. So why isn't this solution satisfactory? Because if the rest of your space uses the newer version of the template, it makes it impossible to maintain a constant look and feel across the whole space. 

There's a lot of folks hereabouts who have shunned the new template for precisely this reason. It's a viable option for folks like me, whose Confluence site has been cloud-hosted for the last 10 years. Not so good for folks who are starting to use cloud for the first time. 

Welcome to the community! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events