How can I publish articles in bulk? Edited

Is there any way to update articles in bulk in Confluence? There are hundreds of articles which will require some modifications to links and screenshots on a certain date. I would like to be able to work on those articles prior to that date and publish them all at once on the date needed.

Is there a way to do this in Confluence?

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion May 22, 2017

Hi Alain,

I don't think that Confluence can do that out of the box. There are some "Search and Replace" plugins on the marketplace:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?product=confluence&query=search%20and%20replace

But I didn't test any of them and so can't give a recommendation. 

Thanks for the response. While this would work for specific words or strings, the changes I need to make would be more dynamic and so Find and Replace wouldn't work (as what is being found will be different for different articles). I wanted to be able to work on the articles, save them as drafts, and then press a Publish All button to make the changes go live when needed.

As an alternative, I could create a copy of the current space, make the changes there, and have users use this new space in lieu of the old one. Do you know how to copy a space?

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion May 22, 2017

For these purpose, we use a plugin called Comala Publishing. You create a draft version (simply a copy) of a whole space and then do all your changes in this draft space.

If your work is done, you can either

• publish a single page from the draft space to the public space or
  • publish all changes from your draft space to the public space

This works well, but the plugin is not for free.

Thank Thomas. I watched the video and it sounds like this could work for me. After looking further, I really like the idea of having a totally separate space in Confluence which is a copy of the first one, but still accessible. This way, I could keep a legacy copy of the space that users could still view for older information, and a new space which users would regularly access (and I would keep updating). Does Comala Publishing allow for this, or do you know of a different plugin?

In short, a plugin that would duplicate a space and allow both to be live and accessible by all users.  

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion May 23, 2017

Comala Publishing has a function for copying a space. After copying you decide, if you want to connect the original and the copied space for publishing purposes. You can also make another copies if you want to.

Two already connected spaces can be disconnected at any time. Then change the permissions for each one, if you want to.  

Thanks again, Thomas. As I have Confluence Cloud, Comala publishing will not work. Do you have any other suggestions?

Hi Alain,

oh, Confluence Cloud...

I didn't find a publishing plugin for Cloud in the marketplace, but at least there's a copy-space-plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/ac-copy-space/cloud/overview

Maybe this might help you, but I didn't test this plugin and can't say, if it works well or not.

Good luck :-)

Thanks for the quick response. Could you check the link again? It does not appear to work.

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion May 31, 2017

done :-)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

73 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you