Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I prevent a link from happening?

Susan Hazlett February 6, 2012

Before the wiki "upgrade" which prevents any editing via markup now, I could edit my page to prevent an automatic link from happening. Now I can't, and cannot find out how to do this within the User's Guide. My problem is that I have a line of text with the following:

UTF-8 Regex Test (w/ UTF-8),

And the second instance of UTF-8 appears as if it were an autolink to a Jira issue. I've seen this a couple of times with various forms of XXX-99 text strings, and no longer can fix this to *not* be a link.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to fix this in the "new and improved" wiki editor? I tried to escape the dash, (UTF\-8) as was once an option in wiki markup, but that just shows me the literal text... not a nice formatting option.

6 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Ewan Willis February 12, 2015

Put a backslash in front of the hyphen i.e. for instances of UTF-8 you should type out as UTF\-8 to avoid autolink voodoo

Brandon G November 7, 2016

This should be the actual accepted-answer because it is correct and resolves the users problem without creating a new problem.

Like Noah likes this
Andy Hurley March 12, 2018

Except that it doesn't work! At least, not in our 7.3.3 on premis instance. 

If I prefix a - with a \ I get \- displayed. No link but still not the text I wanted.

e.g. I have an Epic name with this:

FR\-01 Approve draft consent order with no amendment

If I remove the \ it makes it a link to a withdrawn issue called FR-01 which not only is a link to something irrelevant, it also has a line through it. 

2 votes
Maximilian Nyman August 7, 2013

The automatic link creation is extremely annoying for me and the fact that there's nothing (reasonable) I can do in my text to prevent it is just crazy.

Any news about when this will be sorted?

Thanks,
Max

1 vote
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2013

This is caused by https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-27814. I'm pushing to get this fixed at the moment. Feel free to watch/vote/comment on the issue.

0 votes
Rich Glazier May 3, 2021

Any real answer to this? long dash and slashes don't work. This is like MS Word c.1998, where the software is smarter than you. I want to paste plain text, and not have it be interpreted as a hyperlink. Thank you for the help.

0 votes
Ben Shamsian February 7, 2019

Another quick option is to not use minus "-" and instead use  EM/Long dash "–".

so you would enter PJ–123 - visually it looks very similar and Jira will not make it into a link.

chris August 8, 2019

You can also insert an invisible zero width space to disable the link, e.g. PJ-​123 will appear as PJ-123 (or at least it works in JIRA)

Like Junio Fernandes likes this
0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2012

Hi Susan,

I'm sorry for the trouble with the new editor.

You can prevent the link from happening by including the text in the {noformat} macro.

This is not ideal - it puts a box around the noformat area, but it will stop the link.

This is one of the many usability problems we're going to fix with the Confluence editor in the coming months. Please bear with us!

-Simon

Timo Rumland July 31, 2013

Has this issue been resolved already? How can I prevent such automatic link?

We have several tables with hardware model information like "PJ-123" and Confluence generates JIRA issue links.

Is there any other solution to that ugly {noformat} macro (it's just not bearable in tables)?

Varun Nedumaran December 15, 2016

How to make the JIRA hyperlink disable .We are using JIRA 6.4.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events