Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I migrate the Confluence data that is on aws to in-house db server?

Hitesh Veeramachaneni April 5, 2016

Migration.JPG

I installed Confluence(same version as of my AWS one) and I am in 'Restore Data' step. Currently, there is 500gig of data in AWS. Could someone please redirect me to a link where I can find detailed procedure of taking back-up/dump and pulling it into my in-house db server(mysql).

Thank You

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2016

Hitesh,

Out of curiosity: why are you opting for a database migration rather than an XML export/import? That may be a bit easier, and the only real work you will need to do is adjust the JVM and move attachments over to the correct directory. See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/restoring-a-site-152034.html

Additionally, if your attachments are stored in your Database I would advise against this-- as it is now deprecated and can have some pretty heavy performance issues.

Let me know if you're interested in doing it this way and I can help point you in the right direction!

Hitesh Veeramachaneni April 5, 2016

Large DataSets.JPG

Atlassian documentation says, XML Backup for 'large dbs' is not recommended. Now, how large/big is considered a 'large db' for this task?

DB size in my case is 516G. Can I go ahead and use XML Import / Export ?

Thanks for your response Andrew.. 

Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2016

Hitesh,

Indeed- that's a good point. With a database that size I'm thinking that your Database is including attachments, correct? Would you fill me in on what version of Confluence you're using? There may be an opportunity to separate your attachments from your Database as-is right now, if possible, and see where that gets you.

However, if you aren't able to do that due to restrictions on system availability, storage, or internal policies and need to do the database migration, check out this documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/migrating-to-another-database-148867.html, which details how to restore a system through a database and what considerations and changes you will need to make. Keep in mind, this document was crafted for newer versions in mind without the attachments held inside the database.

Hitesh Veeramachaneni April 6, 2016

Yes Andrew, there is attachments. Version we have here is Confluence 5.9.4. The XML Backup option we are referring could be applied from the Confluence webpage (Logged-In as admin), right? Irrespective of the size, I just tried the 'BACKUP' option available in the 'General Configuration' page of my Confluence Sandbox webpage but the operation wasn't successful!

Below is the error the webpage displayed 5min after I clicked 'BACKUP'.

Backup_Err.JPG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events