How can I link to folders on company shared drive?

I am setting up our confluence page and I would like to be able to link directly to folders on our shared drive, I have been searching the net for answers for 2 days with no success, in a windows environment idealy I would like for it to open up in an explorer window even if I am using chrome/firefox/opera/ie any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 answers

3 votes
Davin Studer Community Champion Apr 22, 2015

To link to a shared folder you use this format. Keep in mind this will ONLY work with Internet Explorer by default as it is the only browser that supports the file protocol out of the box. You can get extensions for Chrome and Firefox that will enable the file protocol ... sorta.

file://///server/path/to/document.doc

Yes, you need five slashes at the front. The protocol is "file:///" ... with three(not two)slashes. The next two slashes are the beginning of the UNC path.

Firefox extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/?src=search
(In the extension options on the Advanced tab->Trusted tab ->Allow local links

Chrome Extension
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/locallinks/fkkidcgelfcjmebocoaicnelkbnpgpmm 

Hi Davin, How do I manage folders which has space in it. I am unable to link the file saved in a folder which has space in its name.

Davin Studer Community Champion May 13, 2015

Replace spaces with %20

David - I can't tell you how happy I was to find your answer here. In other questions out here asking the same question, the response is that you can't link to a network drive, and you can only link if it's an actual URL. I've been playing with this for three days to get this to work for me. I'd been given the info on the %20 for spaces, but still couldn't get it to link until I found your response here indicating that you need the FIVE slashes after "file:".  I finally got it to work! Thank you - this will save a ton of time for all the people I need to direct to a network drive folder, for them to update weekly stats in a spreadsheet that gets renamed each week with a new date.

Hi Amy - so do you still need to replace spaces with the %20?

I basically put for example:

file://///{IPAddress}/Ecommerce/PJC/FilesForConfluence%20/JonStats/Analytics%20Cult%20Beauty%20Magento%20Location%2020170101-20170123%2020160101-20160123%20(1).pdf

and it doesn't work.  Look forward to hearing your reply. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Confluence

Think you know shares vs. @mentions in Confluence? Take this collab quiz.

To anyone who doubts that Atlassians are a little too obsessed with collaboration, and tools related thereto, let me describe a recent discussion we had (which took place on our internal Confluence, ...

108 views 2 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you