It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I insert markup in Confluence ?

Hello,

I try to import some wiki contents (xwiki contents) into Confluence.

I see here that I can use the Insert Markup > Markdown function to do this.

In the editor, I cannot see this link (see photo).

How can I configure it ?

confluence_editor.png

2 answers

Hey Reynald,

To add some info, I think you are specifically looking for Markup (vs Markdown) since you are coming from XWiki. The closeness of the names leads to all sorts of confusion in our documents and other places on the web.

The new editor, despite its full markdown support, does not have markup support anymore and the macros are no longer available to display markup content.

My advice is:

1. Try a copy/paste of the rendered content from XWiki into the new editor without using a macro. Content like links will work fine, and Confluence will pick up on many pieces of formatting. Things that definitely didn't work when I tried were headers. See if this gets you reasonably close to where you want to be.
  2. If a paste didn't get what you needed, we also have a Markup page importer available free on our app marketplace. Based on my understanding of the plugin, you should be able to save the wiki markup you have in a .txt document and upload those text files to the importer. It will convert the uploaded files to Confluence pages with the appropriate formatting
    UPDATE May 2020: The importer plugin is no longer available for Confluence Cloud.

Let us know if we can help out more!

Cheers,
Daniel

Why has markup been removed, I have been doing most of my inserts with markup

Like # people like this

Thank you, for making me get an admin in the mix to approve an importer and doing away with something that made codegen of documentation so freaking easy....

Why would you guys do this?

AND now that I've gone through the hurdle of getting our management to approve it....it doesn't work....

Thanks guys, i appreciate it; https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213816/universal-importer-for-confluence?hosting=cloud&tab=reviews

0 votes

Reynald,

The article you found is for the old editor, but we are slowly rolling into the new editor, which is what you have on your page. Please note the article is still live because most Confluence Cloud instances are using both the old and new editors while we roll out the new one.

For the new one, see Confluence Editing Improvements:

Updated keyboard shortcuts, autocomplete, and full Markdown support

Instead of remembering different autocomplete shortcuts for different types of content, you now need to remember only one: the slash command. Type / to open a list of macros and other content that you can add to your page as you go. 

Keyboard shortcuts have also been updated to be the same as industry standards, so many of our keyboard shortcuts will now be the same as in the other apps you use. To see the full list, type CMD + / (Mac) or CTRL + / (Windows).

For those of you who prefer using markup languages, you can type or paste in Markdown, and we’ll convert it into fully formatted content as you go.

From this, I believe you should be able to just paste markdown into your page. Can you try that?

Regards,

Shannon

My team uses the Insert Markup macro from the old editor. We have a macro in MS Visio that exports information to a table structure (markup text) which we then paste into the Markup macro to insert the table into a concluence page. This process works very well and is one of the main productivity features of our process. 

With the removal of the Insert Markup macro this is obviously broken. I have tried just pasting the markup into a New Editor page, but just get the text.

The output of the Visio Macro is in my control so I can rewrite it. Where can I find documentation/examples of the markdown I would need to produce to replicate the behaviour we have lost?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

32 views 2 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you