Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How can I insert a table between two numbered list items?

Hi,

Can you please let me know how can I insert a table between two bullet points. Whenever I am trying to insert a table between two numbered bullet points, my number sequence is breaking. Please help.

3 answers

2 votes
Bill Bailey Community Leader Jul 16, 2021

Sure. At the end of your bullet text, insert a soft return (shift + Enter). Then at the end of your table, a hard return (Enter), to start the next bullet.

Hi, I have tried it, but it is not working. Still, my number sequence is breaking. Soft return works for images only, even if I am trying to insert a note, between the numbered bullet points, the sequence is breaking.
Please let me know if we have any other process to achieve it.

Like # people like this

I am facing the same issue, and its just not table but with info panel as well.

Every time I try to insert table/info panel, the numbering re-starts from 1

This seems to be an issue since last year and still not fixed.

Like # people like this

In the end, the only way to put a table in a numbered list is to pull up PowerPoint, create your table, copy it, past it back in PowerPoint as a picture, copy it and then paste it in the numbered list following a soft return.

Bill Bailey Community Leader Jan 28, 2022

Try again. I often insert macros of all kinds. Go to end of the numbered item one or two soft returns. Then after the inserted macro, a hard return.

Bill, why do you keep writing this same answer ? You must know that it doesn't work for the cloud version?

Using the text mode you can achieve the result you want:
16-09-_2021_09-49-25.jpg

In the visual mode there automatically a hard break (or new paragraph) is inserted below tables. In the text mode it is visual as a blank line. When you switch to the text mode and remove the blank line the correct counting is continued below the table.

How to get these two modes (visual and text)?

I can only see visual mode. What settings do I need to update to get both the modes? Please respond.

Oh, I just realized that this question belongs to Confluence. I found it searching for another problem with Jira. So I thought this question was asked for Jira.

In Confluence there is only the visual mode but I do not have any problem when inserting a table into an enumeration:
16-09-_2021_10-32-20.jpg

In the edit mode it is seems to be somehow strange formatted but the published page is fine.

Maybe you are facing a known issue, that is fixed. I used the Confluence 7.12.2 for my second test.

I suspect if the above screenshot is from the Confluence wiki page. In my confluence wiki page, I am not getting the below tools option.

Capture1.PNG

All I get is 
Capture2.PNG

Still need an answer for this in confluence if anyone has found a way. 

There is NO answer - Dev simply ignore uncomfortable questions (from at least 2 years ago now). Confluence Cloud does not support numbered lists with certain interruptions - period! 

Strangely, odd things like /code snippet app do not seem to affect the numbering - probably because it was developed by developers FOR developers. I'm just surprised that they have not got us all using markdown instead.

Finally, although you can report the problem (which has been done several times over) Dev does not look at any report likes unless they get up to a lot more than a few hundred. Given that most people look for a reported problem and then decide that 'oh well, it's already been reported'... (quite rightly in MHO), the number of likes does not drastically increase and Dev remain blissfully ignorant. 

Confluence it seems is not only cack-handed but also incredibly expensive. If you have a large body of users in a company and want to buy some of the free/cheap apps, you find that you've got to buy the license for the whole group which at around £5 per head can prove expensive. So watch out. If you think you can simply tack on the Source Editor app for free up to 10 users and you have 500 users, it becomes a rather expensive way of controlling lists (mind you, I have to wonder WHY the Source Editor functionality is not automatically included in the basic Confluence Cloud package?)

Simply put YOU CANNOT ADD A TABLE OR CERTAIN OTHER ITEMS BETWEEN A NUMBERED LIST AND RETAIN THE NUMBERING SEQUENCE!!

Perhaps though, Confluence wallahs can answer the following: 

If you can't put tables inbetween a numbered list, why can you easily put /code snippets inbetween a numbered list?

codesnipex.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence

Confluence: Where work and wellness meet

Feeling overwhelmed by the demands of work and life? With a 25% increase in the prevalence of anxiety and depression worldwide during the pandemic, for most of us, it’s a resounding yes . 🙋‍♀️ ...

757 views 5 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you