How can I improve authentication times?

Daniel Santaella August 27, 2020

Dear community,

Since we have Confluence, we experience everyday slowness when authenticating to the server. Sometimes during the day, we just reload the page when it is trying to authenticate and enter credentials again and works fast. We never saw a pattern in this auth issues, so we would like to know how to troubleshoot this further.

Has anyone experienced the same kind of behaviour?

It has happened to us at least from version 6.10.1 onwards.

Best regards,

Daniel

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2020

Hello @Daniel Santaella !

As I understand, authentication performance can become unreliable in your Confluence instance.

A good place to start looking for clues could be your Browser Console and a HAR file.

You could generate a HAR file while trying the login process and then check what is taking so long to be triggered:

There are chances that the behavior is triggered by something within your network and not Confluence.

If the HAR file does not show anything too glaring, you could also take a look at the logs from Confluence itself:

If you are using Crowd to externally manage Confluence users, you can look at the Crowd logs as well:

Since the behavior you described can be caused by a wide array of issues, I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. How many users are usually active at the same time in your instance?
  2. What browser are the affected users using when they face the described behavior?
  3. How much memory is allocated for your Confluence instance?
  4. What is your current version of Confluence?
  5. Is there any other service running on the same server as Confluence?

You can check the allocated memory for Confluence under the setenv.sh file. More details on memory allocation here:

Let us hear from you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events