Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I import XML, HTML or Latex files?

Safa Öztürk August 18, 2017

My company thinks to move technical documentations online as a Confluence spaces. Right now, we are investigating importing options. Does Confluence have these import options built-in or external.

3 answers

1 vote
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2017

Well, you have a few options.

There is the UWC Converter, which is unsupported and may not work on the latest version of Confluence (you should install it in a test instance) which you can use to import some formats.

There is also a plugin for Confluence Cloud, Confluence Universal Importer. You may be able to sign up for a trial version of Confluence Cloud, import the pages, re-export, and import into Confluence Server (since you are running the latest version of Confluence Server, this should work, but you should check with Atlassian support before trying this method).

Finally, the best method would be to use a custom solution that pulls the information needed from the XML files and saves Confluence pages using the REST API. This would require some programming and knowledge of the Confluence API (most languages support some sort of framework for Confluence, so that might at least make this easier). However, this is the only way to fully guarantee a successful conversion of pages into the proper format.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2017

Depends on what you mean by "import".  You can attach the files of course, but I suspect you want to convert them into Confluence pages?

Safa Öztürk August 22, 2017

Yes, we need to convert them into Confluence pages. We are ok with at least XML but also the others will be much better.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2017

Ok, then I'd go with what Steven said for XML and probably HTML.

LaTeX is a different story - translating those into Confluence is pretty much nonsense as you'll lose most of it.  However, I would import the files as plain text and wrap them in macros from https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.stepstonetech.confluence.plugins.latex/server/overview

0 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2017

Are you using Confluence Server or Cloud?

Safa Öztürk August 21, 2017

Confluence Server 6.3

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events