How can I hide some user groups for particular users in Confluence and Jira?

Andreas Haaken October 16, 2012

We want to allow our customers to interact with us using C and J.

But they should not be able to see which other customers are doing that too. So we want to hide theses users for them.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2012

There's nothing you can do about groups - if a user is in a group, they'll be able to see that. Not the members of that group, just the actual group name itself.

To hide users, check the global permissions - there's a "browse user" function in there. Make sure only the people who should be able to see other users accounts are in that permission. The most common starting point for this is to have a group of users that are internal to your organisation - they get put in a group like "our org" or "internal" and given the browse user ability. External users are not granted the ability.

However, some points with this:

• People can't see the list of other accounts. It's all or nothing, you can see the entire list of users, or you can see none of them
  • People without the "user browse" won't get the automatic lookups on user based fields.
  • This will NOT stop users seeing other users who are active in the project. For example, I raised an issue, and you assigned it to Fred in your organisation, I'd be able to see Fred in the assignee field. If you put Mr Flibble (at a third organisation) down as a possible assignee, I'd be able to see him in the list of assignees, and if you assigned it to Mr Flibble, I'd then be able to see Mr Flibble in the assignee field (and the history etc). I still wouldn't be able to look up Mr Flibble, but I can follow links to his profile etc.

(I've rambled about Jira here mostly, but it's the same principle in Confluence)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events