How can I get the old Create button back?

Gianni Truzzi February 9, 2017

We are currently running v 5.8 of Confluence, and are in the process of performing a major upgrade to v 6.0, which we are evaluating.

Back in v5.x, the Create button was a single button that invoked the template dialog:

image2017-2-9 10:31:7.png

Now v6.0 has replaced this with a two-button equivalent, one that makes a blank page and another that invokes the template dialog.

image2017-2-9 10:31:59.png

This introduces a big problem for us. We want to encourage and channel our users to create documents using the templates, to enforce consistent style. We want to discourage them from starting with a blank page. This new form does precisely the opposite.

I would just like to have the old single Create button back. Can I customize my site or (better yet) my space to be that way? If so, how? Specifics please.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2017

Hi @Gianni Truzzi,

Sorry it took me a few days to get to this.

You can remove the quick create button and get rid of the 'three dots' icon using Javascript, rather than CSS.

This solution works for me on Confluence v6.0.3:

1. Navigate to Confluence Administration page >> Custom HTML.
  2. Click Edit.
  3. Put the following code in the 'At the end of the HEAD' section and click Save:

<script type="text/javascript>
      AJS.toInit(function(){
        AJS.$('#quick-create-page-button').hide();
        AJS.$('#create-page-button &gt; span.aui-iconfont-more').removeClass("aui-icon aui-icon-small aui-iconfont-more");
      });
    </script>

Please give it a try and let me know if it works. If you have any problems, let me know and I'll try to help again.

Sam

Gianni Truzzi February 17, 2017

Thanks, Sam. That worked perfectly!

FYI (and making this available for anyone else), I was able to produce the exact same result through CSS.

#quick-create-page-button    
{    
  display:none !important;    
}

#create-page-button.clc-create-dialog-btn  .aui-iconfont-more::before {      
  content: "";      
}      

#create-page-button.clc-create-dialog-btn  .aui-icon-small {      
  width: 38px;      
  text-indent:-0.25em;      
  margin-top: 10px;      
}

The Custom HTML solution is much cleaner, of course. But it does change the entire site and all spaces.

The CSS method involves a lot more fudging to re-center the Create text within the button, but it can be effect the change only in the site where you want it to change. 

Thanks again for the solution!

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2017

Hi Gianni,

I haven't tried myself, but there is a KB article along these lines here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-override-quick-create-page-button-in-confluence-5-9-x-818253227.html

Although it is focused on creating blog posts it sounds like it could be adapted to work with specific templates. Step 4 is the key bit. 

If I get a moment, I'll see if I can get it working on my own v6 Confluence and post further details.

Also, if you haven't already seen, there's a suggestion on Atlassian's public issue tracker which covers this issue, which you might want to watch/vote on:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-44327

Hope this helps.

Sam

Gianni Truzzi February 13, 2017

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the reply and information. I tried that, and it didn't appear to work.

However, I did find the beginnings of a much more acceptable solution described in this page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-hide-elements-in-confluence-using-css-or-javascript-313458894.html

So I can successfully disable the Quick Create button through this code in my CSS:

#quick-create-page-button {
   display:none !important;
}

Now, if I can override the text displayed in create-page-button to say Create (instead of . . .) I would be very happy camper.

Is there an attribute that I can set in CSS for create-page-button to make that happen? Or some other mechanism?

Thanks,

Gianni

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2017

Hi Gianni, I've added a new answer with the details. Hope it sorts it for you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events