How can I get links to open up in a new window on Confluence?

Rita Kumar September 19, 2014

I want to insert links to external websites in my page and have them open up in a new window.  I am in the on demand version... Please give me some solutions...

Thank you

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2014

There is no automated solution for this with ondemand. You can ctrl+click the links and they will open in new windows, but that is the only way that I know of right now.

Thanks David.. that does help so I can either right click or ctrl +click.. better than nothing

Chi Nguyen March 27, 2016

Hi Atlassian,

We want all links to open in a new tab, window. Please support for us.
My Confluence 6.0.0-OD-2016.12.2-1113.

Thanks so much,

0 votes
Carlos Gomez November 29, 2017

I use an HTML Link Macro to do this.

http://www.brikit.com/display/documentation/HTML+Link+Macro

Shawn Connelly December 27, 2017

Is this available for the cloud version of Confluence?

Which actual Brikit product contains the HTML link macro? It's difficult to tell from their website. Also, how much does it cost. I guessed it was in the Content Flow product but their pricing page is broken: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.brikit.contentflow/server/pricing

Thanks

Carlos Gomez December 28, 2017

Not sure if it's available on the cloud version of Confluence. 

Brikit Theme Press product contains the "HTML Link" and "OPEN LINKS (NEW WINDOW)" macros. 

In the following link, scroll down to the bottom of the Brikit page to see all of the Macro examples that come with the Brikit Theme Press package.  http://www.brikit.com/display/themepressdemo/Macro+Examples 

For the pricing, sorry I don't have that information as I'm not an administrator.

0 votes
Glen Lipka September 22, 2014

FOR HOSTED VERSION

In the custom HTML, (end of HEAD) put

<script>
AJS.toInit(function(){
  $("a.external-link").attr("target","_blank");
});
</script>

Also if you want bonus points...

<style>
a.external-link {  
  background-image: url(http://bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.24wmf21/skins/Vector/images/external-link-ltr-icon.png);  
  background-repeat: no-repeat;  
  background-position: right center;  
  padding-right: 15px;  
}  
</style>

That will make all external links open in a new tab.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2014

The question is for OnDemand ... no custom html.

Glen Lipka September 23, 2014

Hmm. Bummer. Well, it's the right answer for people with the hosted version.

0 votes
SimratPal Singh September 19, 2014

Haven't done that ever but can point to few directions. 

1- Add links in html macro use href to create a link. Than either you can use browser settings to setup to open links in new windows. 

2 - Can add java script in "Custom HTML" section of "General Configuration" to play around and open links in new windows. 

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2014

This is for ondemand. Those are not available in ondemand.

I dont see that option in general config in the on demand version Simrat

Ahh, I wasn't aware. I always have been working on server version. Isn't there a provision to add macros in on demand version?

Browsers have an option to open hyper links in new windows if u want to try tht.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events